13 - Emmalyn

13 - Emmalyn

I got out into the yard, happy that no one else was out here. Everyone was in class, or doing whatnot. I did not really care about what they were doing. All I cared about was that I was able to be on my own. It was Thursday and I was glad that the week was almost over. Maybe this weekend would be better than the last one.

I needed it to be so. Going back to school to no friends –like, literally no friends- and no boyfriend, no one to count on at all was too sad. It was much harder and lonelier than I had thought. I always wondered what it would feel like, and never thought it would be this bad. There was no one to look forward to seeing anymore. The mornings were boring now. No locker to go to and catch up on last night's events.

It felt like I had nothing left here in high school. My place in university was secure already. I had the perfect grades and I had done enough extracurricular activities to last a lifetime of applications. I would get a scholarship in a heartbeat and I could go pretty much everywhere I wanted. So, grades were not a distraction or occupation. I could easily just stop coming to school already and just put my name on tests and that was it.

That did not mean much when I had no one to spend my free time with, though. Having the satisfaction of my greatness would not bring friends to me. I knew I had said that friends in high school were trivial. That was what I thought before I was truly on my own, nonetheless. Now I could see just how wrong I was.

Right now, though, I just needed some space and-

'Hey, Emmalyn.'

Following the unexpected female voice that called for me, I turned around to find a fist against my face right away. I stumbled back and saw some splotches of lights of every color block my view. I tried to hold onto something but there was nothing around. I was in the yard after all. There were only a couple of trees downwards and the ground was covered of grass where I was –of which I was not sure anymore since I felt very disoriented and the pain was messing with my head and common sense.

My backpack fell off my back and hit loudly the floor as I continued searching for balance. I kept holding my nose with my hands, cursing repeatedly under my breath. That really hurt. I did not feel any blood dripping, though, and I supposed that was a good sign. No broken nose or anything. Not that I was even sure the nose was where the throbbing pain was coming from. Wherever it came from, it hurt like hell, nevertheless.

Olivia Campbell was standing in front of me with a flustered look and a crimson red face. Her eyes were glassy and she was shaking violently. I was relieved that she was still alive, but completely confused and angry because she had just punched me in the face for no reason. Maybe she was just mad because I did not let her kill herself.

Just the thought of that day gave me chills. That was quite a gloomy day, and having rescued someone from committing suicide had hit me hard. I felt quite uncomfortable and there was something in my chest I could not quite put the finger on. Like a certain desperation to as much as know someone that could get to that point of no return from self-loathing and whatnot. It had definitely dampened my mood. Even more than everything else that had happened to me had done.

It was good to see her, nonetheless. I wanted to talk to her, and at least make sure she was okay before moving on with my life. There was nothing I wanted more than to leave this behind me. The issue was that I had not seen Olivia in school the past two days.

I was tempted several times to go to her house (since now I knew where it was) and check on her, but felt as if it was not my right or business to do so. So I just kept my ears perked for if I could hear anything that was said about her.