31 - Emmalyn

31 - Emmalyn

I put the last of the gowns in Olivia's back seat. My arms hurt from the weight of these dresses. It was unbelievable that someone as skinny as Olivia could carry them around for an entire evening as light as a summer breeze, and smile through it.

The car looked incredibly odd, and we probably looked like we were madmen. Luckily, no one was around. Everyone was either at work or at school, just like we should. I was trying to ignore that, because it would drive me crazy if I let it get to me. I did not think I had ever missed a day of school.

Olivia had put her hair up in a messy bun as soon as we had walked into her closet, something I had never seen her do before. She was a 'let your hair down' type of girl, probably to show how pretty, luscious and long it was. The typical thing a basic white girl that drank fancy drinks in Starbucks and talked for hours about her outfits would do.

I was glad to notice that Olivia was finally drifting away from that. Usually, that kind of girls did not have much to talk about, or at least not much that interested me.

'Okay, so do you know where a thrift shop is?' Olivia asked me as she looked at me through the rearview mirror. I looked at her from the backseat as I adjusted the last of the clothes so she could still see over them. She seemed happy, liberated, and I was glad to be there for her at this symbolic moment that obviously meant so much to her.

I noticed as well that the dark patches under her eyes were fading, meaning she was getting sleep. She did not look anemic anymore, as well, and that lifted a weight off my shoulders.

'Like a nearby one, you mean?' I inquired.

'Yeah.'

'There is a nice one not far away. I've been there a couple of times. They have pretty cool stuff. We could look into it after delivering this, if you want to.'

'Well, I've never been in one, so sure, I can take that off my bucket list.'

I chuckled. Of course Olivia had never been to a place like that. She had always been so far beyond that, but not anymore. I shut the door close and climbed into the shotgun seat.

'You'll like the place. You can literally find anything.'

'Is that a good or a bad thing?'

I contemplated for a moment my answer. 'It can be both,' I replied in the end.

She smiled tentatively and put on her sunglasses. 'Well, let's do this, then.'

*

'Thank you so much for this,' Mrs. Kim said, shaking Olivia's hand. She was the volunteer in charge of the place, and she kept it always neat and nice-looking.

'It's no problem, really,' Olivia replied. I could tell she was happy that she had done this, though. It was for a good cause, and it always left one feeling better. Olivia's clothes were in such good state and were so fancy that the store would make a lot of money out of them.

'The place looks good,' I told Mrs. Kim.

'Thank you darling. It's nice to see you again. It's been a while.'

'Yeah, I know. I've had a couple of busy weeks.'

'Oh right, school year is almost over, isn't it?'

'Yes, I'll have to start studying for finals soon.'

'Well, you always do well, so worry not,' she said with an encouraging smile. I smiled back gratefully. 'So, are you gonna browse around?'

'Yes, that's the plan.'

'Okay, so take a look around and try whatever you want, it's on us.'

'We couldn't.'

'But do, darling, with what we'll earn with your friend's clothes, we'll make up for most else that is in the store.'

I glanced at Olivia, asking for her input in the matter. She shrugged. 'It's up to you. I would rather pay for it. It does not feel right.'

'I understand, let's make a deal,' Mrs. Kim told us, 'I'll give you any dresses you like for free and you pay for anything else you find that you like. Is that a good enough offer?'

'Sure, that's something we can work with,' I agreed.

With that said Olivia and I bid our goodbye for the moment and approached the nearest hall. 'Finals,' she murmured after a few seconds.

I looked up and gave her an inquiring look.

'Finals,' she stated.

I turned my attention back to the clothes. There was a cute tank top that I was interested in. 'What with them?'

'Do you want to study for them...with me?' I glanced at her and saw that she was nervous and very solemn.

I stopped searching the racks. 'Sure, why not?'

'Really?'

'Yeah, it's no big deal.' She nodded and started searching the racks again, biting her bottom lip. 'Can't believe we're already finishing the school year,' I commented.

'I know,' she said. 'So much has happened.' A dark look took over her face and I knew I had said the wrong thing.

'Olivia,' I called out. She snapped out of her reverie and gave me a vacant smile. 'Everything happens for a reason. You and I,' I motioned at us with my hands, 'we're gonna be alright.'

She gave me a strained smile. 'We will. When my dad comes home, I will be.'

'Okay, now let's go try this and dance to the catchy music Mrs. Kim puts on.'

'I like that color,' Olivia pointed out. 'It will look good on you.'

I blushed. 'You think?' She nodded and took a pair of pants on her hands. 'Sure you can fill those up?' I mocked.

She gaped and grabbed her butt. 'I can fill them in just fine!'

Laughing out loud, I shrugged and walked along with her right behind me, ready to give me a piece of her mind. I was glad to see Olivia like this. It seemed as if she was finally finding her own self.