11 - Emmalyn

11 -Emmalyn

She opened the door –with a bit more of effort than it was necessary, which I thought was strange. Not even I had to and I was several inches shorter than her. I cursed under my breath because I had imprinted in my mind the hurt look inside her eyes when I had said the comeback of the surgeon. Had I struck a nerve?

All I knew was that something had twisted inside of me when I saw the look on her face. Never before in any of our quarrels and banters had she looked as hurt as today. Had I crossed the line? Was there even a line to cross between us?

All I knew is that today it had not felt right to push and shove.

'Oh shit,' I grumbled as the guilt took over me.

The more I thought about it, the more I felt something tighten in my guts. Sure, I hated her but maybe I had really crossed a line. After what Lena had claimed about me, I was second guessing everything that I did, even with Olivia. But...I mean, I was supposed to be mean to her. That was the way we worked around each other after all. Right? Ugh, stupid Lena with her stupid words that got to me.

Hurrying towards the door, I pulled it open –with much less effort than she had, I noted- and I watched Olivia Campbell walk away down the end of the hallway. Scurry away was a more proper term for the sight I had just witnessed, though. I wrinkled my forehead, not understanding a thing. What the hell was wrong with the pretty little miss perfect?

I shrugged carelessly, reminding myself it was really none of my business. It was not as if I would just go up to her and talk about it. Not that I could either.

Maybe I was thinking too hard about this. I had quite a handful of my own problems, anyway.

I let out a tired sigh as I walked back into the bathroom to get my backpack. I was done with school for today, like for real. It was not as if I would miss anything on class. Whatever they were teaching I probably already knew. After checking my makeup and overall state on the mirror (I could look worse), I hunched the backpack up my shoulder. Right after having made up my mind about dissing school for the day, I got out into the hallway.

I made my way to the school's parking lot, Olivia Campbell no longer in my thoughts. Not that I thought she would stay any longer in there. She never did. I did not really care about her –like, at all- so I did not care if she was facing withdrawal from not getting her drugs or whatnot. I had no idea of what she did with her life or her spare time. Also, I did not care.

After a minute or so, I got to the parking lot. I was in no rush to get anywhere. I had to figure out what to do until I had to go pick up my little brother. It would be a while, I realized as I checked on my wristwatch.

Looking up from my wrist, I caught a glimpse of Olivia ghostly walking to her ultimate model car. Sure, she had so many problems in her life inside that huge and expensive car, poor her. Bullshit. Those rich people always try to find something wrong with their life. I think it is unfair and just plain stupid.

I looked away and directed myself towards my lilac bicycle, feeling bile rising up my throat by Olivia Campbell's stupidly perfect life. I bet she did not have a father cheating on her family or such. She was so freaking lucky and she did not even realize it, worrying about getting her nails done and what party to attend to this weekend with that real life Ken boyfriend of hers.

Coming to an abrupt halt, I huffed in annoyance when I noticed she was pretty much speeding her way throughout the school's premises and out into the woods that surrounded it. That crazy girl, endangering other people's life. How reckless and ignorant.