27 - Emmalyn

27 - Emmalyn 

It was probably three in the morning. Olivia was fast asleep beside me. Several of her fancy gowns were on the floor. I could bet they were going to be wrinkled and nearly ruined by the time we woke up. That was not going to be pretty for when her mom came back. Olivia was probably going to get into a lot of trouble for it. I should stick around to take the fall for it.

I knew Olivia and her mom had a rough relationship as it was. The least they needed was something else to fight about.

I should be sleeping as well right now. Her bed was so comfortable and big. Like the beds you would find at hotels. As far as I knew it could even be one of those therapeutic ones. But all that I could think of was home. In here it was silent -silent enough for me to be able to hear my thoughts, and be haunted by them. My mom's cries echoed inside my head and if I closed my eyes the cries became louder. I had tried to sleep and they had become loud wails that followed me around.

I had only sent her a text telling her where I was. But I knew the chances of her reading it or even as much as knowing I was out of the house was minimal. She was not likely to even leave her room.

I could not help but wonder and worry about Ben. Was he inside his room? Had he had dinner? Could he hear mom cry? He was right about me being out of the house so often just to avoid the whole situation. But what was I supposed to do? I had tried to keep us all together, but it was harder than I had expected, and I hated not being in control.

I was trying so hard to fix what dad had done, but what if it could not be fixed? What was the next step if we could not go back to the way we were before?