Red Dawg

Me, Sam, Dean and Cas all sat at a table at some hole-in-the-wall bar. Cas decided to hone in on a case me and the boys caught a whiff of.

"I've got to say, it's good being back together," Cas said as he sipped his beer. "You know, this is my first beer as a human. I hope it isn't a bother, me joining you?"

"Why wouldn't it be okay?" Sam asked, and me and Dean tensed.

"Cas, are you ready to jump back into all of this?" I asked, distracting him. "I mean, it seemed like you'd finally found peace."

"You once told me you don't choose what you do. It chooses you."

"Huh?"

"I'm part of this, whether you like it or not," he said, clinking our beer glasses together.

"Well, in that case," Sam said, shifting in his seat. "We need to figure out who we're up against, what they want, and how to stop 'em."

"Well, Bartholomew wants to reverse Metatron's spell," Cas said. "Presumably to retake heaven once his following is large enough, according to April."

"The girl you banged?" I asked.

"Yes, and the girl you stabbed."

"She was hot," Dean whispered under his breath, but all of us heard it. We looked at him, and he glanced up at me from across the table. I crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow. He cleared his throat. "Well, every hookup isn't perfect," he said, patting Cas' arm.

Cas stood up, finishing off his beer. "I'll get us another round."

"One beer and he's hammered," Dean chuckled.

I looked at Sam and saw his eyes flash blue. "Oh, boy. Here we go."

"Well? What are you two gonna do about this?"

"About Cas?" Dean asked.

"He's a beacon of light. He's pulling every angel for miles right to us."

"You know what, Zeke? Level something off with me. What are you so scared of?"

"I told you. When I chose to answer your prayers and heal Sam, I chose sides. That means I'm not standing good with some angels."

"Well you know what?" I asked, glaring at him. "Cas isn't standing well with any angel. And he's still out here helping us. So tell me, what makes you so special?"

"Alright, here we go," Cas said as he returned, setting down four beers.

Zeke clenched Sam's jaw tightly. "I'm going to get something out of the car."

"He does know that you told me to leave, right?" Cas asked Dean.

"Look, when he took on the trails, it messed him up," Dean said. "The third one nearly killed him. I have to do whatever I can to get him back, and if that means not talking to you for a while, then that's what I have to do. I don't like it, not a bit, but it's what I gotta do. It's great to have the help, but we can't work together."

***

I swear, all we did was research. I needed some action.

"Any word from Cas?"

"Nada," I sighed.

"And we're not worried about him?" Sam asked. "It's not like him to do this stuff alone."

"It's the way he wanted it," Dean said. "Honestly."

Sam looked unconvinced.

I looked at Sam. "What do you got?" I asked, moving to stand behind him and look at his laptop. "Obituaries?"