We Will?

The next day I woke up and didn't want to move from my spot. My face was throbbing from the amount of pain and cold it took in last night. I managed to sit up and lean against the wall, grabbing a water bottle and opening it. I only got down a few sips before I felt sick.

It took a few hours before I could stand and move around. My limbs and muscles were all sore. That amount of exercise wasn't usual for me. I limped out of the gas station, the sun bright. It had dried my clothes, a tank top, and gym shorts, in a matter of thirty minutes. My hair had dried a crispy mess of dirt and grass. I tried to brush it out with my fingers as I walked but soon gave up. I used up half a water bottle to wash it out and make my hair a bit smoother.

My feet were sore, and there were a bunch of tiny cuts on them. Every little rustle I heard in the woods freaked me out, but I just kept moving as fast as I could and stuck to the road, though the grass might've been more forgiving on my feet.

A few more days had passed by, at least. I hadn't found any sort of civilization except a run-down shed and still hadn't seen any cars. It was a tough time, but I wanted to survive.

Suddenly, a car honked from behind me, and I turned to it. It was a sleek-looking black car. Probably a model they didn't make anymore. As it got closer, I made out the words 'IMPALA' on it. As it stopped beside me, a man with long-ish brown hair looked out the passenger window at me.

"Are you okay, Miss?" He asked, and it took me a second to process his words.

"Uh... No, no, I need help. P-please."

He got out, opening the back door for me, and helping me in. Once we were both in the car, the driver turned around.

"Can you tell me what happened?" He asked.

"I'd rather not talk about it," I said. It was hard to keep back my tears, the sudden overwhelming urge to do so too strong.

"Well, how long have you been walking out here?"

"A-a few days, I think. I kind of lost track of time."

"It would help if you told us what happened," The long-haired man said. I looked up at him, then at the other one. I could feel the tears welling in my once bright eyes.

"My sister and I, as well as our boyfriends, rented this cabin," I started, hesitant. "It was basically in the middle of nowhere. We were staying there for our college spring break. We were all seniors. About a week in, these weird things were happening.." I trailed off.

"Weird how?" The driver asked.

"You'd think I was on drugs or something."

"Try us."

I sighed. "It started with growling in the woods. But, then it became scratching at my window at night. One night it freaked me out, so I tried to wake up my boyfriend. I turned him over because he wasn't moving, uh, and his throat was slit." I choked on my words, remembering the look of fear carved into his face. When I got a grip on myself, I continued. "I ran screaming to my older sister and her boyfriend about it, and she said we'd leave. We tried but our car's tires were slashed.

"Then her boyfriend... came flying out one of the second-story windows. His neck snapped when he hit the ground. And then this... this creature came out. It sure as hell wasn't human, if that makes any sense. It looked like one, relatively. Pale, arms and stood on two legs. But its face was- it was missing eyes. Like they had scarred over. It had no hair, and when it did open its eyes, they were-"

"Blood red?" The driver asked.

"Uh... yeah, how-how did you know that?"

The two looked between each other for a second. "It was something called a wendigo," he said. "I'm Dean Winchester. This is my brother, Sam. We kind of hunt the thing you saw. And, of course, other things."

"Okay, and what are the other things?"

They hesitated. "Monsters."

I laughed. "You're kidding me, right?" They stayed silent. "Oh, God. You're not kidding me. Okay, okay. So a wendigo, you said?" Dean nodded. "What is it?"

"You really wanna know?"

"It killed my sister. My boyfriend."

"Okay, they once were humans," Sam said. "But, they turned cannibals. Either for survival or fun, when a human turns cannibal, that's what they become. They're exceptional hunters in the day but somehow even better at night. Usually, they hide in caves, or as we've seen, in abandoned mines. And the only way to kill them is with-"

"Fire. That's how we killed it. My sister shoved it in a fire pit. She went up in flames with it."

"Hey, we should get you to a hotel. Get you some food."

I nodded. I don't know why I trusted them but I felt I could. I wasn't afraid of the two. And I sure as hell didn't think they were crazy.

I ended up falling asleep, jerking awake to Sam shaking me. My feet felt so much better after sitting for about an hour car ride. They had stopped throbbing painfully, but it was still noticeable. We pulled into a gas station, one that was running, and Sam helped me out of the car. He looked down at my feet.

"We'll get those patched up later, okay?"

I nodded, smiling at him. Dean came from the back of the car, handing me an oversized shirt, a flannel, and a pair of jeans that looked like they could fit me, but he gave me a belt just in case, along with a pair of socks. He held a pair of shoes in his hand, some type of biker boot.

"There's a bathroom around the corner. Let's get you changed."

He led me to the bathroom, letting me go inside to get changed. I tucked the end of the shirt into the jeans, which fit me very well, so I didn't need the belt. I slipped on the socks and boots, tying the laces. It was pretty warm outside, so I tied the sleeves of the flannel around my waist. I looked at my hair in the mirror and sighed at the treacherous sight, dried mud still in it.

When I opened the door, Dean ushered me back inside the one-person bathroom, pulling out a brush. "I can't let myself be seen with you looking like that."

I gave a small smile as he used water from the sink to wet my hair, then brush it out until it was knot-free. I stared at the tiny cuts all over my face from glass and branches. They started to heal, some deep enough to have to scab over, others nothing but a pink, fleshy line on my skin. "There, you look presentable."

I rolled my eyes and laughed, at least, as much as I could. The thoughts of my sister still hurt me. She was the only family I had left, as our parents died in a car crash a few years back, just as I graduated high school.

"Come on," He opened the bathroom door for me and took the belt from my hand. "We've got you to get you some food."

I nodded and got into the back of the car. They took me to a small diner, one with not many cars in the parking lot. I figured that was for the best.

"So what is your plan after this?" Sam asked after we ordered.

I sighed. "I don't know. I don't have a family to go back to. No job, I don't think I can go back to college. I'm not even sure I want to. I might start over fresh. New town, new job, new name."

"You know," Sam said. "We'll let you ride with us until you can get on your feet."

"Really?"

"We will?" Dean asked, and I glanced at him. I didn't blame him, not at all.

"Dean, come on," Sam sighed.

"Listen, we'll get you on your feet, but then you'll have to figure it out."

I slowly nodded, eating my pancakes in uncomfortable silence.