Believe Me

Hailey walked ahead of Brantley down the dark brown dock that led to their bungalow. He wanted to call out to her, but held back. Hailey reached the door and stopped, waiting for Brantley to unlock it. She looked out over the water as he came up behind her, stopping before he reached the doorway. He turned to Hailey, who was facing the right side of the dock, looking down at the clear blue ocean below them. 

"Hails." Brantley began, but she didn't budge. 

He reached out, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder. Hailey sighed, spinning to face him. She raised her eyebrows. 

"Hailey, I didn't know she would ever show up here. I promise you. You have to believe me." 

"I don't have to do anything." Hailey crossed her arms across her chest, gripping tightly. 

Brantley didn't try to argue. She was right. She didn't have to do anything. But he wished she would. He unlocked the door and walked in, leaving it open for her. Hailey hesitated at the opening, but turned and walked around the outside of the bungalow along the deck. She came up to the very large gray hammock that spanned from one side of the deck to another, hanging gracefully over the ocean. She slipped off her sandals and carefully climbed on, dangling her feet off the edge. She looked out where the sun had more than halfway set. Peaks of pink and orange dancing along an island in the distance. She sat there for what felt like hours. As it got darker and the lights from inside the bungalow began to glow brighter, so did the stars in the perfectly open night sky. Hailey sat there for a little while longer before deciding to head inside. She grabbed her sandals off the dock, dangling them from her fingers as she entered through the open sliding glass door. 

Brantley sat on the over size sofa that had been his bed the night before. He had showered and had a pair of black sweats on that hung dangerously low on his hips. He sat quietly on his phone, not straying away from the screen as she walked by. She kept going all the way to the bedroom and shut the door quietly behind her. Brantley looked up at the sound, his face sinking as he realized that she had shut him out. He placed his phone on the side table next to him and laid down, closing his eyes. 

Hailey had showered under the rain shower head that was placed above her in the ceiling of the huge glass stall. She got on her navy blue floral lounge pants and a white tank top, throwing her chocolate brown hair up in a messy bun. She crawled in to the California king size bed, pulling the white fluffy comforter up around her. She tapped the lamp beside the bed, turning it off. The sound of the beautiful ocean outside the open window lulling her to sleep. 

Hailey turned over, peering at the digital clock on the bed side table. The red numbers blinking through the dark room. It was 2:00am. The ocean still rocking back and forth against the posts of the dock. She laid there in the silence for 15 minutes, before throwing back the soft comforter that was wrapped underneath her arms. She padded across the wood floor to the bedroom door, opening it slowly. She stepped out in to the dining area, looking over at the couch lit up in the moonlight. His large, strong body stretched out with a small fleece blanket splayed over him. She had a pang of guilt, forcing her to let out a breath. She looked away, walking in to the kitchen. She opened the freezer, hoping that there would be something in there to make her feel better. She landed her sights on a pint of Ben & Jerry's strawberry ice cream. She took it out and shut the freezer door. She tried to be as quiet as a church mouse, searching the drawers for a spoon. She reached the utensils and grabbed a smooth silver one, perfect for scooping out the right amount straight from the carton. She stood, leaning her back against the counter, facing the kitchen. She took a few bites, relishing in the delicious fresh strawberries every other scoop. 

Hailey was lost in her own little world, she nearly jumped out of her own skin when a rough hand landed on her shoulder, giving it a little squeeze. She whipped around, almost dropping the ice cream out of her hands. 

"B." 

"What are you doing awake?" His voice low and raspy. His muscles flexing as he came around to stand in front of her. His tattoos moving as gracefully as he did. 

"Couldn't sleep." Hailey shook her head, looking down in to the pint of strawberry goodness. She made swirls in the ice cream with her spoon, trying to distract herself. 

Brantley reached over, grabbing the ice cream out of her hands, placing it on the marble counter top beside them. He placed his right hand underneath her chin, lifting it to meet her eyes. Hailey bit her bottom lip before he captured it softly with his. He moved both hands, wrapping them around her waist. He pressed his body in to hers. After a few minutes, she pulled away looking over at the ice cream. A devilish smile spread across her face as she got an idea.