Just Fine

"Oh Mama, you shouldn't have." Amber gushed with over the top excitement as she opened a new red Kitchenaid mixer. She stood up, stepping over the crumpled silver and gold wrapping paper to give Becky a gigantic hug. 

"Bleh." Hailey rolled her bright blue eyes, looking over at Taylor. 

"Alright, that's enough wine for you missy." Taylor replied, hushing her. She grabbed the stemless glass out of Hailey's hand as she tried to protest with a puppy dog face. 

Hailey huffed and walked over to the porch. Kolby was leaning on the railing, looking over the backyard. He turned to watch Hailey walk up the steps. She nearly tripped on her light yellow maxi dress on the last step. He gave a hearty chuckle, shaking his head. 

"What? I'm short and this dress is too long." Hailey scolded, giving the step a look like it had done something to her. 

"You sure it's not the four very large glasses of white wine you just had?" He arched an eyebrow. 

"Oh, stop. I'm fine." Hailey dismissed him with a wave of her right hand. 

Amber opened another handful of presents. She reached for the light pink bag that Hailey had brought. Pulling out purple tissue paper, she revealed a beautiful piece of slate with a picture of her and Brantley lasered across it. Amber nearly dropped it from astonishment. She opened the card attached and her face fell. She looked up at the deck where Hailey and Kolby were. She offered a small smile, almost like an apology. But Hailey knew better. A lot better. 

"Hailey, this is gorgeous. Thank you." Amber said sweetly, her southern drawl thick. 

Hailey nodded, looking over at Becky's surprised expression. Becky gave Hailey a reassuring grin. 

"That's a beautiful gift. Thank you." A low husky voice replied from behind. Hailey twirled to come face to face with Brantley. The first time he had even acknowledged that she was there. 

"You're welcome."

He stared passed Hailey, never locking eyes with her. He played with the silver rings on both hands and adjusted the leather cuffs around his wrists. He looked down at his new pair of black boots and went back in to the house. Hailey stood in her place, watching the door shut quietly behind him. She peered up at Kolby next to her. He shrugged his shoulders and nodded toward the back door. Hailey knew what he was asking her to do. She had not said more than the two words to Brantley since she drove his truck home alone from Alabama. 

Hailey walked through the door in to the kitchen. It was empty. There was still plenty of food on the counter, desserts for after the gifts. The smell of homemade peach cobbler wafting from the black crock pot in the corner. She was about to round the corner to the hallway when she heard a cough from the living room. Hailey turned her head to the left to see Brantley sitting on the couch, his hands stroking his beard as he sat forward. 

"Hey." Hailey's voice so small in the generous size room. 

Brantley gave a half ass smile and leaned back in his seat. His hands running through his hair. Hailey rocked back and forth on her feet before speaking up again. 

"Why aren't you out there helping your fiancee open some gifts?" 

"That's all her." He laughed, his green eyes wandering up Hailey's body, landing on her blue ones. 

"I see." Hailey bit her bottom lip, unsure of how to continue this conversation. She twiddled her fingers together. The tension making her feel more awkward than she normally is. She finally spoke up after a few minutes. "So, you're really doing this huh?"

"Hailey, please." Brantley sounding annoyed by her question. 

"Please what?" Hailey spat at him, her hands coming down to rest on her hips. 

"Give it a rest. This is our engagement party. Can't you at least wait until everyone has left to go on about how this is such a bad idea?" Brantley was now in a standing position. He was looking directly at her, his gaze unwavering. 

"Give it a rest? Give it a rest?!" Hailey laughed, her voice growing increasingly louder by the second. "That's hilarious, coming from someone who fucked their best friend the day before their fiancee shows up and then asks said friend to leave so he can have time with that fiancee." 

"Brantley Keith, what is Hailey talking about?" A voice rang out from the kitchen behind them. Hailey froze. Brantley dropped his arms by his side, sighing.