Sweet Magnolias

Later that evening, Hailey drove over to Mama Becky's for Saturday family dinner. Mama Becky always hosted every other Saturday, bringing friends and kin together. It was a great way to begin unwinding before Church the following morning. Hailey stepped out of the white Jetta, her light blue sundress that matched her glittering eyes blowing in the breeze. Taylor would be joining shortly, after she made a pit stop at Jason's to have a few words with him. She had asked Hailey to come along for moral support, but Hailey didn't want to give Jason the time of day. Nor did he deserve it. 

Hailey walked across the patio and up the wooden steps of the front porch. She smoothed her dress and fixed her tousled brown locks, a bright yellow clutch under her arm. It was the beginning of Summer and it was gorgeous outside. The sun still beating down. The flowers in bloom everywhere you turned. The smell of the magnolias in Mama Becky's front garden was glorious. One of Hailey's favorites. She rang the doorbell, just like she did every time she came over. 

The door creaked opened, a very tall guy in jeans and a dark green henley top standing in front of her. "Hailey, you don't have to knock. I don't know how many times we have to tell you. Stop being so polite." 

"Someone has to be, because we sure know you are no gentleman these days, Kolby." Hailey pushed by him, walking in to the foyer. 

"Is that Miss Hailey Jane I hear?" A voice echoed from the kitchen. 

"Yes, ma'am." Hailey replied, walking toward the back of the house. Mama Becky wiped her hands on the teal dish towel hanging over her right shoulder. 

"Please, you know to call me Mama. Now get your tush over here." She smiled, embracing Hailey in a warm ginormous hug. She pulled away, looking down at Hailey's left hand. 

"Good gracious, Brantley told me you were clumsy last night. He didn't tell me how bad it was."

"Oh, it's nothing. He came to the rescue, bandaging me up good." Hailey winked. 

She set her clutch down on the long oak dining table, claiming her seat before anyone else could. She looked out the set of windows above the sink and noticed Brantley and a few others sitting on the back deck, shootin' the breeze. 

She opened the back storm door, stepping on to the cherry wood planks, her sandals making a clicking sound. The group looked up collectively from their conversation. 

"There she is." Matt said, standing up with a grin plastered across his face. He gave her a tight hug. 

Hailey went around greeting everyone. All of the familiar faces from the night before. Denny, Sarah, Lucas, and a couple others were among them. 

"Looks like you're holding up well." Brantley chuckled, kissing her cheek. 

"Thanks to my best friend." Hailey returned the kiss. She pulled out the chair that was behind Brantley and moved it closer to the table. She grabbed his tall glass of sweet tea and took a sip, earning herself a glare from him. 

They sat there talking about the party the night before, when Mama Becky called out for dinner time. They walked inside, standing in a single file along the back counter. The food smelled fantastic. There was corn bread salad, hash brown casserole, baked ziti, fried okra, collard greens, and all the other southern staples you could imagine. Taylor joined in at the end of the line, along with Hailey's mama. This was the biggest gathering yet. Usually it was just Brantley, Kolby, Mama Becky, Hailey, and her mama. Hailey loved when the gatherings were larger. The less pressure she felt while fielding the questions of when she was going to find a real man to settle down with and why Brantley kept going back to Amber and not her. 

Mama Becky led grace and they all began to dig in. There was complete silence for a few moments, you could hear a pin drop. The clinking of forks against the white china plates breaking through every once in a while. There was some small talk amongst them, when there was a soft knock at the door. Before anyone could get up to get it, the door opened. Hailey looked up, her face falling when she saw who it was. 

"Am I too late?" The sweet southern voice asked. 

"No baby, you're just in time." Brantley replied, walking over to take her hand. He led her toward the kitchen to get a plate and asked Hailey if she would mind moving down a seat to make some room. She did mind, very much so, but she moved anyway. 

"Hey, Amber." Hailey offered up a small smile. 

"Hi." Amber looked over at her quickly, placing her napkin on her lap. She leaned in to Brantley, as though to make a point. 

Kolby coughed, rolling his eyes. Mama Becky took a large sip of her water, eyeing Amber the whole time. They finished up and everyone headed outside to play a couple games of corn hole. Hailey stayed back to help Mama Becky clean up. 

"When are you going to knock some sense in to my boy?" Becky asked, handing some tupperware containers to Hailey as she plated up some leftovers. 

Hailey just laughed, shaking her head. Her chocolate brown locks falling around her face. "You could kick his hind two ways in to Tuesday, and he would still come walking back with her by his side." 

Becky shook her head too, turning off the faucet. She gazed over at Hailey and graciously laid her hand on her arm. "He loves you like no other, little girl. He just needs to be reminded." 

Hailey looked in to Mama Becky's eyes, frozen in time. Unaware that someone was watching them through the window.