Chapter 39

[Vote and comment, please. Enjoy reading!]

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

“I told you, he hates me,” my Beta mumbled rather sadly behind me, making me tear my eyes away from the double doors where my mate and that Taylor exited.

“No, he doesn’t. He's just having a hard time accepting it,” I said, trying to lighten up his mood. Obviously, it wasn’t working.

Caleb and I sat on the bleachers, just looking up at the clear blue sky above while talking about his mate, Zane Taylor. Let’s face it, that dude was so stubborn. Just because he was a warlock and didn’t have a wolf inside him didn’t mean he wouldn’t be lonely if he continued treating Caleb that way, and my Beta started moving on. That could be the worst mishap that could happen to our kind.

Coach Payton was nowhere in sight. He left after the two did, saying he had to talk to someone important and we could have this period free. Others remained here in the field, just chatting. Some continued playing football, while some went out to eat.

I slung my arm over Caleb’s shoulders and pulled him for a sideways hug, ruffling his hair while I was at it. “Don’t take it too deep. I'm sure Silver is lecturing Zane about the way he's treating you. You know my mate. He gets what he wants.”

Caleb pouted; a very rare sight to see. “It’s not like I'm ugly. Nor scrawny and brainless. What is it with me that he doesn’t like?”

I chuckled. “I think it’s because of your approach at the hallway this morning. What, you just scooped him up and took him away despite his protests. I bet you twenty you already kissed him!”

He smirked. “Twice.”

“There goes my forty!” I held up my palm in front of him and wiggled my fingers.

He looked at me in disbelief, laughing. “You can't be serious!”

I was about to put Caleb into a headlock, but stopped midway when I heard something that caused me to stiffen.

“OHMIGAWD! I just, like, received a message from, like, Georgina! She said, like, Silver quit from Mannerisms!” a girl (duh) said, fanning herself vigorously as if she was about to faint. That was the only advantage of girls’ gossiping. They were loud enough for you to hear if they were talking about you, or the people you cared for.

Normally, I wouldn’t bat an eyelash with it. But my mate’s name was mentioned. And whether I liked it or not, stop my body from moving or not, I couldn’t help but want to know more about it. And, what Mannerisms? Was that the modeling agency’s name Silver worked for? The girl did say he quit.

“I’ll go ask if you want, Hunter,” Caleb volunteered. He might’ve have heard my thoughts quite well, since I was mentally ranting. I just nodded, not trusting myself to ask them nicely.