Chapter 16

[Vote and comment, please. Enjoy reading!]

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

I woke up with my ever-so-yummy Hunter hovering over me. He was brushing my hair out of my face and all that was written on his was worry. I glanced around me and found out that we’re back to our room, alone.

“Hey…” he said.

I sat up and felt a twinge of pain in my head right away. Clutching it with both hands, I grunted out loud. Just then, glimpses of what happened in the lake ran through my head in flashes of filmstrips, without any warning.

Hunter didn’t say anything, just pulled me in his arms and rubbed my back. I gasped a few times, catching my own breath. Once the throbbing in my head was gone, I just stared at nothing in particular. Hunter brought my face in front of him but my gaze still seemed to pass through his head.

I didn’t do any of that, right? Or did I? But no… I can't. I just can't. And I wouldn’t. Not in my right mind. But then again… I was a human. Not something like that… whatever happened to me that day… I was not that… thing.

“…Silver! Please say anything!” I blinked a few times and realized that Hunter was actually shaking me.

I shook my head to get out of my trance, and soon my eyes stung. He wiped it right away though, before the tears could even start escaping.

“Hunter… please tell me I was not the one who did all that…” A whimper and a tiny sob escaped my lips, and that seemed to alarm him more. I hated being such a crybaby, but Hunter seemed to draw that side of me out.

“It’s not you! Okay? It’s not you. You had no control on what happened there. You were not in your right mind—“

“But it was my body! It was my face! It was me! Now I understand why Elaine and your other pack members were so angry and scared of me. I… I hurt them. I almost killed them. What if I do it again? What if… what if next time…”

“That’s why I’ll take you home today, alright?” He was nodding, as if wanting me to do the same. So I did. He took a deep breath, composing himself. “Your family sure knows about these happenings. Do you want us to go now, or do you want to take more rest?”

I quickly shook my head, momentarily forgetting my dilemma. “No! Let’s go now! Ah, wait, what will I wear?” If we were to go back to Westmount, I cannot be seen in ‘un-Silver-ized’ clothing.

“My clothes, what else?” he replied, as if that was the most obvious thing in the world.

“C'mon! They’re too big for me!” I whined. “Can I borrow clothes from Stefan? Oh wait… he might not want to talk to me…” The change in my mood was so clear.

He nudged my arm with his elbow. “Hey… why would you think that? You were even playing with him earlier, right?”