Part 2, chapter 8..3: leaving

POV : Shawn

-I wish I could come with you... why the hell must I stay here ? Maddi says, with tears in her eyes.

-I know, I wish I could take you with us... I promise we'll find time to see each other a little bit. And.... I smile, looking down at her diamond ring, when I come home, we'll sceal our couple in the most beautiful way !

This manages to make her smile a little, and when she looks back up to me, I see the stars in her eyes.

-Yes, I still can't believe you are going to be my husband...

-And you my wife...

I take her hands in mine, and as I lay my lips on hers, time seems to stop during the kiss. At least until Andrew's voice raises across the airport hall.

-Shawn ! Come on ! We are going to be late for the flight !

-You should go... she says, breaking the kiss. Here, have this.

She puts her hands behind her neck and takes off her necklace to hand it to me. It's a golden chain with a key pendant from Tiffany&Co, with diamonds engraved on it.

-You should have it, she says. I have the engagement ring, you should have the necklace

-But Maddi, this is the necklace your brother gave you. I know how much it means to you !

-And that's why you will keep it safely...

She puts her arms around my neck and gently attaches the necklace.

-I'll keep it safe, I promise.

She leans forward and I kiss her one last time

She leans forward and I kiss her one last time. I feel her lips against mine, her warmth on my face. My whole body burns and my heart bursts in my chest as I can't help but think this is our last kiss in several months. I get closer to her, trying to keep her in my arms for as long as I can, but she slowly breaks the kiss and my heart sinks.

-You should go... she says. You are already late.

Her hand on my cheek caresses my skin and I can see tears in her eyes. It's time for me to leave, for my eyes are getting wet too.

-I love you Maddi, and I always will...

-I love you more.

As I take a step back, my heart fills with sadness. I have never felt that way before. Touring always cheered me up and got me excited, but when I think of all those days without Maddi, I feel like I just can't do it. I won't see her, won't hear her laugh, won't hear her sing... I won't hear her stupid jokes that only us two can understand. I won't hold her tight... And at the end of the day, it'll be just me in my cold lonely bed...

But as I walk away and turn around, I see her waving at me, holding up her tears, and at that moment, even though we'll be separated, I can only thank God for he gave me the beautiful Madison.