Chapter 27

Distance is your worse enemy when you want to start a relationship.
***
It's been a few days since I was attacked. Shawn has been constantly checking if I am ok and healing well. I keep telling him I'm good, I even went to work today. Which was maybe not the best idea because I met Jane again... and she kept telling me how she was excited for the Paris gala.

-When is it precisely? I asked her.
-It is in a week!! I can't wait to see Shawn on TV wearing the suit I designed!

My heart sank when I heard that. He'll be leaving in a day or two and he didn't tell me. Is he really going to leave without telling his friends? I thought he was not that kind of man... Maybe I got it wrong...
I spent the whole morning at the boutique in a horrible mood. I think I'm getting mad at Shawn for not telling me... The only thing that brought a smile to my face is that I finally finished the dress I was making for myself, and it really suits me so well!
At noon, I came back home and got ready for Connor's birthday party. Yes he is turning 20! Brian came home to help me bake cakes, buy drinks and decorate during the whole afternoon. Then I got dressed in a blue dress, did my hair and makeup and came downstairs to greet everyone.

****
Connor's birthday party has been going on for a couple of hours, everyone is having fun, except for me... there was one thing on my mind "will Shawn tell me if he is going to Paris?" I try my best not to show that I am preoccupied, but it is really hard...
"I though we were close friends, clearly it's not enough" I tell myself.
Shawn must have noticed the worry on my face, because I see him coming to me with a concerned look.

-Maddi, is everything ok? He asks.
-Yeah of course!
-Wanna dance with me? He says, as he asks for my hand like a gentleman.
-No thank you...
Shawn looks at me, confused.
-Ok.
He turns around and start walking away but I stop him.
-Wait! ... I want to talk to you. I say softly.
-I'm all yours he says.
-Shawn... do you classifly me as your close friend?
-Well of course! What a question!
-And.... have you and will you tell me everything?
-Yes Ma'am! I have and will tell you everything! He answers. But why are you asking that? What do you have in mind?
-Hmmm. Nothing. I answered with a cold expression.
I see Shawn getting very confused so I walk away to avoid him. It may seem very childish but I don't know what to do. I shouldn't have asked him... Why did I ask that??

The party goes on but I just can't leave Shawn like this. So I walk to him and apologize for having acted weird.

-No worries!! He giggles. But now can you actually tell me what's going on?
-Nothing! I say loudly, trying to prove my point.
He argues with me for a minute and I almost shout at him:
-Shawn don't piss me off!
-Calm down you monster! He laughs.
-Sorry... I think I'm tired... I apologize.
-Hey it's ok. Come here...
He takes me in his arms and hugs me tight, and suddenly, all my stress and anger fades away.
-'You better now? He asks
-Way better.
-Good. Now follow me. I've got something for you.

He takes my hand and leads me in a room where we can be alone. There, he looks for something in his bag and hands it to me.

-What is it? I ask, looking at the blank envelope.
-A present for you! He answers, with such a happy and proud face.
-It's not my birthday, you know that.
-I know, but why wait for a special occasion to offer a present? Come on open it! He says, jumping up and down with excitement.
I open the envelope, and inside, I find...