Chapter 10

And at that moment, the kitchen door opens and enters....Connor.
-HEEEEY! He screams, seeing Shawn.
-HEEEEY! Shawn screams back, giving him a hug.
-What are you doing here?
-Madison and I were just talking.
-Talking? Connor asks, giving me a wink, which makes me roll my eyes.
-Yeah! Talking! What else do you want us to do? Paint the ceiling? I say, slightly annoyed.
-I should... probaby go... Shawn says.
-Don't you want to stay for lunch? Connor asks. It smells good. I bet Maddi cooked something delicious!
Shawn's face brightens with a smile and he looks at me.
-Ok then. Thanks for inviting me!

We all sat around the table and enjoyed the meal I prepared. We had a good time together, and then Shawn left to work at his studio.
*****
It's the end of the afternoon now and I decide to walk to a nearby public garden to look for inspiration for a new dress. I sit on a bench, my notebook on my knees, and sketch whatever comes to my mind.
After a few minutes, I am cut off from my thoughts by a voice I recognise. I get my eyes off my book and see a bit further in front of me, Shawn with Shirley. They are walking hand in hand, not really talking. Are they enjoying the moment or do they just have nothing to say?

I pretend I didn't see them and spy discreetly on them. They walk together to a bench and sit there. Shawn puts an arm on the backrest behind her and they start discussing.
As the minutes go by and the sun starts to go down in the sky, I notice that nothing happens between them. Not even a kiss. Are they mad at each other? Then why do they stay there together?

I know I'm probably more curious than I should be right now, but I can't help being interested in other people's lives...
A cold breeze suddenly arrives and chills start running down my spine. In front of me, Shawn gives his jacket to Shirley to keep her warm. I think it's cute when boys do this. I know it's cliché, but it remains cute.
They are facing each other and I notice a slight movement from Shawn, wanting to embrace her, but at this moment, Shirley makes a move back. She gives him a quick kiss and leaves. Shawn stays here for a second by himself, and then leaves.
On my way home, I can't get the image of Shawn off my head. Why did she act like that?

When I enter the house, I find warm pizza boxes in front of the TV.
-I ordered dinner, I hope you're hungry! Connor says. I'm sorry it won't be as good as your cooking, but I didn't have the time...
-Oh yeah I'm hungry! And I love pizza!
We make ourselves comfortable on the couch and start a movie.
-Hey Connor, I say. I saw Shawn and Shirley together today. They were acting weird.
-Oh... like what?
-Like Shawn wanted to get close to her,  but she kept him away... I don't understand... they were so close yesterday. Stuck together! Do you know why she was acting like that today?
-I don't know their couple very well... I just know that Shirley is not the type of girl I would be around. I didn't try to know her better. And Shawn's really in love with her.

I don't know why, but these last words make my heart sink for a second.
So if I get it right, from how well I know Connor, Shirley is no perfect angel, and Shawn is blindly in love. Ok...so, not the best relationship one could dream of I guess.
I go back to watching the movie, when my phone screen lights up.