Chapter 72 Part 2 - The Birthday from Hell

I eventually got up off of the floor and composed myself. It was my birthday, a day for celebrations, not a day for moping over stupid little boys. I showered and then carefully applied my make-up, making sure to hide any traces of my current state of depression.

I dressed in a pair of light blue leggings and a white satin shirt. My feet had swollen really badly, so despite the cold British autumn weather, I wore a pair of silver sandals and prayed that it wouldn't rain. 

I got to Karina's around 4.45 (I had told them that I didn't want a party too late in the day) and they were waiting for me. They had gone to so much effort, it made me feel so loved and special.

"Aww, guys..." I began, but couldn't continue as I began crying. But for once, I was crying tears of joy. 

They all hugged me one by one, which was a bit difficult when Paige came over due to the size of our stomachs.

This was the first time that I had seen Karina for a while, she had been absent for a long time and she didn't seem herself, she seemed very distant and on edge. 

It was just Meisha, Paige, Rianna and Paris here and I was having a family dinner on the weekend, so I was happy. 

We spent most of the evening eating, drinking, catching up and laughing. It was so much fun to be around my girls and have no drama. 

Karina was out of the room, in the toilet so I quickly changed the topic.

"Guys, is it me or is Karina.... Different?" I said, re-filling my cup with juice. 

"She definitely is, and she's hardly around these days, Karim seems to be keeping her all to himself..." Meisha said, rolling her eyes. 

"We all change when we're in love, some for the good, some for the bad." Paris said, quietly. We could hear footsteps approaching so we assumed it was Karina and stopped talking about her, but it was her mum, Celestine. 

"Hello girlies," she said, smiling brightly. "Happy birthday, sweetie." She said, coming over and kissing my cheek. 

"Thanks aunty. Where's Karina gone?" I asked

"She's fixing her make up, I think. I'm just going food shopping, back soon girls." She said, leaving the room

About fifteen minutes later, Karina returned and the party re-commenced. 

We had been playing a drinking game (I was still drinking juice) but Paige and I kept having to get up to use the toilet. I was on my fifth trip to the toilet, and as I sat there I kept faintly hearing a thumping sound. I quickly got off of the toilet, wondering what it was and once the sound of the flush had faded, I could hear more clearly.

"Karina! Karina, I know you're there! Open this fucking door, now!!" It was a slightly familiar aggressive male voice, and I doubted that it was her 14 year old brother. I stood at the top of the stairs, watching and waiting to see if anyone would open the door. 

Karina suddenly popped her head out of her bedroom door, I hadn't even known that she had come upstairs. 

"It's Karim... I'm not here." She said, going back into her room and locking the door. 

I was so confused about what was happening, Karim was her boyfriend, why did she suddenly not want to see him. 

I stayed at the top of the stairs, planning to divert him if he came upstairs, and Meisha came out of the living room to open the door.

"What do you want?" She said, propping her hand on her hip. Her voice was laced with so much attitude, I just hoped it wouldn't aggravate him any further.