Chapter 52 : Epiphany

Chapter 52  

“An accident?! What kind of accident?!” I said, sitting on the stairs, holding my head in my hands  

“He didn’t say, just told me to pass on the message and get you to call him back.” She said, patting my shoulder I took my BlackBerry out of my bag and looked for Tyrell’s name on my contacts list, pressing the green button when I found it.  

“Hello”

“So what’s happened to her then?” I asked. Tyrell and I hadn’t even spoken since before he had gone back to university in September, so it was a little awkward.

“She got into a car accident with Raphael. He died before the ambulance got him to the hospital-“

“Raphael isn’t my dad, I don’t care about him and I didn’t call to ask about him. I called to ask about my mother.” I said harshly, waiting for him to tell me how she was  

“They’re not sure if she’s going to be okay or not. She’s in a coma at the moment. Are you coming down to the hospital?” he asked.  

“Who’s there with you right now?” I asked.  

“No-one yet. Everyone’s on their way-“  

“Who’s everyone?” I asked impatiently. It was like he was being cryptic on purpose, like he didn’t want me to know who was coming  

“Byron and Keira, Anton is trying to find somewhere to park, and I’ve been tryna get through to Chelsea.”  

“Okay fine. I’m leaving in a minute.” I said, hanging up the phone   I sat on the stairs in silence for a bit, thinking. What would I do if she died?  

***

I had gotten to the hospital about half an hour earlier. I was sat next to Chelsea who was dozing off. Apart from Anton, I had barely spoken to anyone else. He and Chelsea were the only people who hadn’t abandoned me after Raphael and my mother had kicked me out, so I didn’t have much to say to them. Keira had tried making small talk with me, but Tyrell and Byron had barely even acknowledged me.  

Us sitting in the hospital seemed pretty much pointless to me, it wasn’t gonna bring her out of this coma any quicker, and our presence wasn’t going to heal her. But I stayed, and held my tongue, saying nothing unless I was spoken to.  

I ended up leaving the hospital with Chelsea and Anton at about 3am, since we all had work or college in the morning and there wasn’t much point in us staying there doing nothing.   I didn’t manage to get that much sleep coz I had to wake up around 8am and didn’t fall asleep until after 5. I spent most of the day in college fighting off my sleepiness and trying to get on with some work. But I couldn’t clear my head or focus, everything that was going on was cluttering up my mind. I couldn’t stop thinking about my mother and whether or not she was going to make it, or what my next step with Kyle would be.  

I finished college around 2:30 and slowly walked down to the bus stop. Instead of going home, Idecided I would go to the hospital and see my mother again.   I walked up the squeaky hallway to the room that she had been in the night before. I pushed the door open and luckily there was no-one else there. I sat in the chair next to the bed and stared at her. The monitors next to the bed showed that her heart rate and breathing were normal, but she had loads of cuts on her face from where the glass from the windshield had hit her.