#18 - My friend is depressed

HEYOOOO!
Sooo...
My friend has turned into a depressing ball of sadness. She's been posting posts like "been mad all week. Even if you say something that will SLIGHTLY annoy me, I'll snap at you."
She's also ALMOST COMMITTED SUICIDE. I'm worried. She says she's overweight and people tease her about it, and her parents aren't helping either. They're just telling her to diet. She used to be all fun and cheery but I dunno, this happened quite recently. Help?

- Awkward Potato

::

1. TELL AN ADULT
Whether it's your school counselor or a trusted aunt, you need to tell someone. The fact that she's suicidal is not something you should keep to yourselves. You should tell your friend that you're going to let someone older know about her situation. Make sure it's someone you both can trust, and someone you know will take you seriously (that's why I suggest the school counselor), and also someone who will keep it confidential. If your friends resists and doesn't want you to tell, you need to explain to her that you're doing what's best for her. Depression and being on the verge of suicide are serious issues that need to be addressed before it gets out of control.

2. NO MORE SOCIAL MEDIA?
Suggest that she should take a break from social media, considering that she's posting stuff when she's not in her best mood. The last thing anyone wants is for other people to say shit like "did you see her post? She's so messed up?" And I don't think your friend wants that either - except she's not in her right mind to make a rational judgment (is that the right word?). Also such posts will probably make other people uncomfortable. So, just tell her that maybe she can deactivate her account(s) for a while.

3. REDIRECT HER ANGER
4. SPORTS BUDDY?
The reason I've put these two together is because it may just be the perfect solution:
She's taking out her anger by posting that stuff on social media. So, even if her accounts are gone for a while, the anger will still be there...which is why it needs to be re-directed!

I think sports is the perfect way to do that.

And, that'll kill two birds with one stone! Think about it: she'll be able to channel her anger through sports, which will enable her to also tackle her weight problem...and also taking her mind off stuff! Three birds with one stone? Solid!

I think you should offer to do the sport with her, whichever it is you choose. Having a friend along the way may really help her feel loved and everything.

Is she a more reflective person - how about swimming or running/jogging? Is she more violent - why not a combat sport (martial arts, boxing)? Does she like aggression - hockey or basketball? I have no idea; whatever suits your fancy.

However, when asking her about this, don't mention the whole weight thing. Tell her it's because you want to have fun with her, and also because you want to take her mind off the stress. Hopefully she'll at least give it one try?

5. BE THERE FOR HER
I think, overall, you just need to be the one friend she knows she can come to. Always make yourself there for her. Offer to hang out when a time comes. Sit with her when she's feeling down. Just being available in her life may make such a big difference for her, I reckon. Tell her that you love her for who she is. Her weight doesn't matter! Remind her of her cheery self. Try and take her out to do fun stuff together, like a theme park or whatever's around you.

Get back to me on how she is, yea?!
Fingers crossed:)
-genie_us xx