#41 - I just want to lose weight!

Hello

You see, I am slightly... How do you say.... portly? In other words, I'm fat. Not too noticeable, but totally noticeable when compared to every other dancer in my group. All of them are really thin and pretty, and I look like I have a huge stomach. It makes me feel so awful, and I try exercising and stuff, but it doesn't work. I can't diet because I love food, I've been exercising all I can, but I can't go to a doctor because then I'd have to talk to my parents. Help me! I just want to lose 5 pounds.

S.O.S!

- Fat and loves to dance

::

Heya.

First, can I just say that it's totally awesome that you can dance? Never stop that. It's very, very cool!

Okay okay, so let's cut to the chase.

Remember how I'd said that comparison is the thief of joy? (Well, it was Roosevelt who said that but meh). That's the first thing I'm going to address. As difficult as it sounds, you need to try and stop comparing yourself with other people because that probably makes everything seem a much bigger deal than it really is. Maybe your dancing friends have barely even noticed you (remember you said that it's not that noticeable), but the fact that it's all that you see in yourself makes it way worse.

I think the only time it should be a concern is if it affects your dancing and your health in any way, which I doubt.

But, I'll still try and give a few tips that could help you lose your 5 pounds because I think that if successfully losing weight is what'll make you more comfortable with yourself, then so be it!

- Eat well

One thing I'd have to say is that if you really, really want to lose weight, you kind of have to commit to whatever you need to do to get yourself there. You can't say you looooveeee food and so you won't change your diet and then expect to lose all the weight in the world. You've got to put in some effort, girl.

What I would recommend is not to cut your meal intake completely (I don't believe in that tbh), but perhaps changing your proportions. I'm definitely not a nutritionist or expert at this, but if you reduce your intake of carbohydrates and up the proteins and vegetables, your diet will definitely be healthier and can possibly enable you to lose some weight. This is because carbohydatrates, when unused in the body, convert themselves into fats as a means for energy storage. As a result, say you omit things like potatoes, junk food and fast food from your diet, it can work.

As much as you love food, you've got to eat healthy. Eating healthy not only ensures that you're eating the right amounts, but it also ensures that you're living a healthier lifestyle which comes in handy when you're older as you won't experience as many complications or whatever.

#Genie_usTheDoctor

#GenieMakeJoke

- Exercise regularly

You say you've been exercising loads, but I'm still going to say this just in case you've been doing it halfheartedly or in the wrong way.

One thing that many people tend to do when trying to lose weight is exercise religiously for like two weeks straight and then, after seeing that nothing has happened, give up.

Thing is, that's not how it works. Losing weight happens over a longer period of time, which takes patience, and so the key is persistence. You've got to do it regularly and consistently. It makes no sense going to the gym for four hours on Monday and then two weeks later doing another vigorous workout etc. You need to make it a habit, a repetitive cycle, so that your body is constantly burning off your weight.

- Choose the right sport for you

I will really emphasize on this one because:

(1) it makes sense to enjoy working out
(2) it makes sense to choose a sport that will focus on the areas you're uncomfortable with

In regards to (2), there's no point in choosing a sport like, say cycling, if it will shape your legs more than anything else (and you are trying to get rid of your tummy). Of course all sports will burn off fat everywhere, but different sports primarily focus on different muscles. Something like swimming focuses on all of them, so that's a good one. Or, you could go to the gym because that allows you a variety of stuff that can help you work on the ones you specifically want to work on. (My only issue with the gym is that visits are never fruitful unless you have a trainer or instructor who is guiding you, because many a time we don't know what we're doing or if we're doing the right thing when we go there). So I'd recommend a proper sport.

Choose one which you will enjoy. It's especially fun when it's a team sport, or one where you can train with many people your age (aerobics?). Look for a local swimming club or tennis club that you can sign you up for. They usually offer not less than 3 sessions a week, so you're already sorted in terms of consistency. If payment is required, ask your parents - they probably will just be proud that you're taking the initiative and won't really question why you're doing it. And, you don't have to explain why. On the bright side, you're adding more sports, on top of dancing, onto your CV!

Hopefully, you'll be able to see progress over time.

- Be positive and love you!

As much as you want to lose weight, you have to be positive about yourself. Be proud of your body. No one's going to love it if you don't. Being self-conscious about it could affect your confidence, and we don't want that, do we? Especially because you're an awesome dancer! Go for what you want. Don't compare yourself to others. Focus on what is important to you. *cue inspirational music* #GenieInspiration

::

Ayt. Here's my summary:

1. It's mostly about being healthy. Eat healthy.
2. Keep on with the exercise. Do it consistently, at least twice a week, and have fun while doing it.
3. Don't let anything prevent you from being the best dancer you can be.

Oh, but considering I'm not an expert, here's the link for a Wikihow page (lol) that has weight loss tips:  http://www.wikihow.com/Lose-Weight-As-a-Teenager. Hopefully it helps too. I like how it says to write out a plan and keep a record and stuff. Go for it!

Good luck!

- genie_us xx