CHAPTER 15

“By the way, Marcel,” Kerchen caught Marcel’s attention after they had done their orders. “Just curious how you and my daughter knew each other? I understand she’s your son’s student but now that you’ve retired and usually stays at home, knowing her would be a 0.1% chance.”

Semi-finals came and with Rishi against Charlene Carls. Charlene is considered to be the strongest opponent she’ll face in the competition. If she wins the match, it is the same as anyone could consider she had won the tournament.

“She really is good as you’ve said, Em.” Marcel noted while watching their sixth game.

“I told you that she is a talent.” Emette said with pride in his voice and with obvious love on his eyes while he watches his precious on the courts.

Back then, Emette didn’t know a thing about her – except for the hate of hospitals. It didn’t occur to him that she plays tennis but fell in love with her. As he learned things about her – about how the two of them have a lot in common and about how mutual things between them, he can’t help but fall for her even more.

‘Can I be blamed for lack of self-control?’ he asked to his own head while he knows well what the answer to the question was.

“It’s a waste that she never thought of going pro with such talent.” Concern passed on Marcel’s eyes that took Emette’s attention.

He realized that he actually knows nothing about whatever Rishi plans to do with her life after she graduates – okay, well, he didn’t really put any much thought on his decision either.

He decided to be a teacher so he could be close to her but didn’t really thought that the time he put in tennis will be going to waste. So why did he waste his talent too and didn’t thought about going pro? And why would he only think about it now when he’s already teaching for two years? Was it because he’s now have Rishi that he’s getting worried of their life together when she graduates? That when she graduates, there’s really no meaning on teaching in a school where there’s no Rishi to look forward to? He was lost in his own thoughts that he wasn’t able to concentrate on how Rishi managed her 4-0 lead.

If Rishi plans to go pro, would he still continue teaching? No – would he still continue teaching after she graduates? For now, he decided to push his curiosity to the corners of his mind and concentrate on the match.

“So in the end, you end up facing Grace in tomorrow’s finals.” Emette started when they met at the exit of the courts’ hall with his mother and Rishi’s parents.

“Yeah. She played well as I’ve seen.”

Rishi’s match ended with 6-1 while Grace’s was still ongoing with 4-3, her lead. She took a match while her opponent took one too. But she managed to take her match point and scored her final blow ending with a 6-4.

“It’s been a while since I felt my blood rush like that!” Marcel said while reviewing the matches inside her head.

“I almost thought captain was going to play it for fun until the end.” Rishi said while keeping her eyes closed and trying to imagine what Grace was just doing on her own match.

Everyone in the club knows Grace usually plays around in matches that usually she’ll find easy to win. She likes to prolong the match and piss her opponents out of the court.

“So tomorrow will be you and Grace, right?” Emette started when they were already outside the venue.

“I’m afraid she might not take me seriously.”