Mr. Serious

NICO

I have been focussed on books and exercise that Joker calls me Mr Serious. The last I see of him was a few weeks ago telling me I am too serious for my age I should smile a little, he then started singing at which point I had to tune him out.

Dad let me access his library so I learn more about my abilities so I am humming chants while writing a paper on civil war and I haven't even started school but I want to be prepared. I got in Gotham High, I am startingthis Monday.

I am nervous of being around kids my age. Aphrodite has taken the initiative to 'spruce up' my uniform, I checked it and it's fine. I found out most the rich kids go to that school.

Being a Sunday means that it's my last day as a 'non-schooler' so I am going to spend the day lazying around I even woke at noon where it is raining.

I decide to go the Café on middle of the busy city because it has great coffee I find a table by the window so I can watch people getting soaked, when the waiter comes to me I order coffee with their breakfast sandwich.  They understand breakfast is better at any time you feel like it.

When the food arrives I eat it while using my phone, I love free Wi-Fi.
Two police cars passing by the window followed by a fire engine. I wonder...

I almost smack my forehead  because I should have remembered that I have ability to sense things. I close my eyes channelling my mind to look in the direction of the fire engine, it takes a while like three blocks away  when I feel when I feel this intense heat no one is in danger because a hero saved them but the fire is too unnatural.

I open my eyes to see a red head pass the window, I hear the door being opened and shut quickly. I hear footsteps come my way, I drink my lukewarm coffee I call the waiter to for another cup of coffee he nods.

"Is this chair taken?" I look find the red head looking at me with green eyes pointing at the chair across mine.

"No..." I say.

"You don't mind if I join you?" She questions with earnest looking eyes.  I look around and see that all the other tables are occupied.

" sure." I say clearing my throat.

"Great." She says removing her wet backpack and jacket. She seats across me wearing a tee with a Batman logo. "I am Barbara." She says holding out her hand.

"Nico." I say pretending I don't see her hand as the waiter places my cup of coffee I take it while he clears my plates.

She clears her throat awkwardly before ordering to the waiter not needing the menu.

When the waiter leaves there is this awkward silence, I decide to take this as a test for tomorrow and say. "So... you are a fan of Batman. "

"In a way, yes. Why you don't like him?" She questions curiously.

"What's to like about a man who dresses up as a Bat and walks around beating 'bad' people. " I say honestly.

The flushes I don't know if it's in anger or humor. "Who is your favorite hero? Let me guess Superman?" She question.

"I don't believe in heroes. So I don't have a favorite. " I say bluntly she looks at me with wide open mouth blinking.

"Well Mr Serious, why don't you 'Believe' in heroes ?" I got her very interesting.

"Let's me ask you a question what makes a person to qualify as a hero?" I question.

She about to answer when the waiter comes with her food.

"Think carefully about the answer." I say taking a sip of my coffee.

She bites her Bagel and sipping her latte. "Well a hero is a person who knows right from wrong and does good deeds like helping people. They put bad guys away."

"You wrong there are many versions of Good and Bad, Right and Wrong. So for example Joker sees what he does as good, he save people from sleeping in the street and stops government officials from embezzling funds that could benefit the community by exposing him to his gas. So is he a hero?" I question. She looks at me.

"Well... obviously no." She says like a know-it-all Athena kid. "Just answer my question first."

"Well the reason I don't believe in heroes is the same as me not believing in baddies, You know the quote ' everyone is a villain in someone's story' ?" I wait for her to nod by sipping my coffee, she does nod I continue. " Everybody is trying to better themselves by removing the threat of 'bad' in the world. Remember the fight of general Zod and Superman, you know that Superman won but we try put names on a rock about what we lost, that even less people give two matchsticks for. If a person is a hero he has to be so perfect that one dies..." I chuckle lightly " so better than us that no flaw exists that's why I don't believe in heroes, I want a hero to suffer as much as the victim that will suffer if he/she legs behind."

"Well that's morbid and there no one that perfect. " she says taking a generous sip of her latte.

"The they should not be called heroes. " I say look at her green eyes. "If it were up to me all 'heroes' should suffer to be perfect."

My phone peeps it a text from Quinn telling me to meet her in Cheshire clown a club downtown.

"Sorry  I have for to go" I call the waiter for the bill.

"You put too much on heroes..." She says appalled at what I said.

"They should put too much on themselves. " I say taking my bill looking it and paying it leaving him a tip. "Bye Barbara. " I say standing up and putting on my bennie with my coat.

I leave see the rain dropped in intensity.

_______________________