Chapter|38.

*Alex*

It had been weeks since I had heard anything from the detectives working on my case. I know things like this take time. But me being the victim in all this... the wait is excruciating.

But... just when I thought that they had given up, I got a call this morning. I wasn't given a whole lot, but they said that they have suspects in custody and would like me to come down to the station.

No... I haven't informed Fallon yet and I won't, at least not until I know what's going on. She has been on cloud nine for the past two months about Ally having a girl, I don't want to ruin it for her.

Yeah, I know that keeping this from her will most likely put me in hot water; boiling water to be exact, but she deserves a break. Not only has she been the best support system for me, but for Ally and Max as well. And I think I speak for everyone; including Max when I say... I don't know what we would do without her.

Fallon comes up behind me and throws her arms around my neck. Sometimes I think she's a damn ninja; always appearing out of nowhere.

"And where are you going?" She asks and kisses me on the neck. If she keeps that up neither one of us will be going anywhere.

"With Nick!" Now before you judge me for lying, I'll have you know that Nick is the one who is picking me up.

"Oh, how is Nick? I haven't spoken to him in so long," she says and releases her hold on me.

"Same as always, I'm afraid!"

Fallon chuckles and shakes her head. "So what are you guys getting into?" And there's the question that I was hoping she wouldn't ask.

"Umm... I'm not sure." I revert my eyes to my hands. Lying to her face is hard. "I think we are just going to hang out, maybe grab a bit to eat?"

"Just hanging out?" She repeats. She doesn't sound convinced.

"Yeah..."

Fallon leans back on the counter and crosses her arms. "Really? Because I could have sworn that your mother said he was taking you to the police station!"

Oh for the love of... Fuck. My. Life!

Note to all the fellas out there... never lie to your girlfriend. They find out everything, and I mean everything!

"Why would you lie to me?" She sounds hurt.

That's just great! I'm such an asshole. "I was going to tell you... but you've been through so much, that I didn't want to worry you."

Fallon pushes herself off the counter, grabs a chair, and drags it with her, sitting it next to me. "Alex," she drawls and takes a seat. She grabs my hand in hers and gives it a gentle squeeze. "I'm always going to worry, that's just me."

How did I know she was going to say that?

"Alex, I know you're going through a lot right now and I want to be here for you... but I can't do that if you're going to keep things from me."

I know she's right, but it's hard... so hard! "I'm sorry!" I murmur. I don't know what else to say to her.

"I know," she says softly and stands. "Just don't lie to me again."

"I promise," I tell her, grabbing her hand and pulling her down onto my lap. I wrap my arms around her body and she leans against my chest. "Forgive me?"

Please forgive me!

She doesn't say anything and plays with the sleeve of my shirt. I don't like her silence. "Say something, please," I beg.