Chapter|26.

*Alex*

By the time my flight landed, I was beyond irritated. Having to share a flight with my mother proved to be a bit much and made a flight that takes a little over an hour, feel like five. Her snarky remarks about Fallon being trash and not being good enough for me were digging into my soul. She knows nothing about Fallon, absolutely nothing.

In the short amount of time that I have known Fallon, I have discovered that she has a heart of gold and will do anything for the people she loves. She's a hard worker and keeps a roof over her head. You can't really say that about most of the people her age. Hell, I know people my age who still live at home with their parents.

It was so bad that she even had my father grumbling under his breath and that's saying something. He's the calm one of the bunch and brushes everything under the rug.

I grab my bag from the bag return and walk towards the exit. My mother calls out my name and I ignore it. I've had enough of her bullshit for one day.

When I made it outside, I sucked in a breath of fresh air; which was definitely needed. A cab pulled up to the curb and popped its trunk. Before he had the chance to get out, I tossed my bag in, slammed the trunk shut, and climbed in.

"Where too," the driver asked. I gave him my address and with a nod, he pulled away from the curb.

My phone rings moments later. I fish it out of my pocket, hoping that it would be anyone but my mother. Unfortunately, I wasn't that lucky. I send her straight to voicemail and turn my phone on silent before shoving it back into my pocket. My phone vibrates in my pocket and I roll my eyes. She is absolutely relentless.

The cab pulls in front of my house and the driver gets out. I followed suit. He retrieves my bag from the trunk and hands it to me. I mutter a thank you and pay him.

A smile tugged at my lips when I heard Max barking excitedly from inside the house. I fish out my keys and open the door. Max doesn't even wait for me to get inside before jumping on me. His wet tongue makes sure to trace every inch of my face. I laugh and push him back, "I missed you too."

I know he hates it when I leave and I hate leaving him. But he is too big for me to be taking on business trips.

Max follows me to the kitchen. When I slid the door open, Max wasted little time and bolted through the door almost taking my legs out with him. I laugh and shake my head. This dog is going to be the death of me one day.

Leaving the door open, I walk to the fridge, grab the salami out, place it on the counter next to the bread, and make myself a sandwich. When Max was finished doing his business he made his way back inside and walked straight to his food bowl. I'm actually surprised it's still full. Normally he devours it the moment the food hits his bowl.

When I was finished, I put everything away, headed to the living room, and plopped down on the couch. I grab the remote, turn on the television, and search through the channels. I frown when I don't find anything worth watching and shut it off. I feel my phone vibrate and groan. I swear if this is my mother, I'm going to snap my phone in half.

Relief washes over me when I see it's a text from Fallon asking if I made it home safely. I quickly send her a text back, letting her know that I am home. Honestly, I would rather talk to her instead. But I know she's working and can't talk right now.

We texted back and forth for a little while and when her messages became further apart, I knew she must have got busy and decided to leave her be. She'll get a hold of me when she can.

I close my eyes and lean my head back. My mind wanders back to my mother and the way she is acting. Max jumps up on the couch and lays his head on my lap. I sigh and give him a scratch behind his ear.