Chapter|33.

*Alex*

"When do you think he will wake up?" I hear my dad ask. You can't miss how concerned he sounds.

"Patience! These things take time, Mr. Grant. It could take up to 24 hours before we see any signs of consciousness." This voice was deep and masculine.

Silence...

I feel the bed dip and a small warm body snuggle against mine. The beautiful scent of a woman's perfume fills my nostrils.

Fallon!

"How is Max doing, dear? Is he healing well?" I hear my mother ask and my heart sinks as images of what happened flood my mind.

Max saved my life.

"Surprisingly, he's doing well. You wouldn't be able to tell that anything was ever wrong with him. He is such a good dog."

Wrong with him? What's wrong with my dog?

"How do you think Alex is going to react when he wakes up?" My mother asked. What is she talking about?

Fallon lets out a sigh. "I would imagine that he would be upset; heartbroken even."

Heartbroken? What on earth is going on?

"After all, he rescued Max. He took care of him when no one else would. He's like a child to him."

I'm so confused.

Fallon lays her head on my chest. Her fingers travel up and down my chest. "I can't wait to see your eyes. Can you open your eyes for me, Alex?"

Little does she know, I've been trying to open my eyes ever since I heard their voices. But I'm finding it very difficult.

"I'm going to get a coffee. Would either of you like one?" My father asked.

"You know how I like mine." My mother says.

"I'm fine, thank you!" Fallon was the next to answer. She continues to trace my chest.

Silence...

I hate silence.

"How is work? I bet that they missed you."

What a minute. I'm confused. The last time I checked, my mother and Fallon were on...bad terms!? Now they are talking like they're best friends.

Fallon chuckles. "They did. Especially, Ray. You should have seen his face the day I walked in the door. It was priceless."

My mother just laughs.

"How about that reporter? Is she still breathing down your neck?"

"No. I haven't seen her in a few days. Maybe she gave up."

"Oh sweetie, they never give up. They just look for new ways to get information."

This is true. If you don't give them the information that they want to hear, they will go looking for it. They always do.

"I have to use the bathroom. I'll be right back." My mother tells Fallon.

"I'll be right here."

Fallon's movements never cease. The way she is caressing my chest makes me feel all warm inside. It was soft and soothing.

"I don't know if you can hear me or not. But I just wanted to tell you that, I love you." Fallon's words take me by surprise and my heart skips a beat. She just told me that she loved me.

Her fingers brush the exposed skin on my neck. "I know that I should've told you sooner. But I was scared, scared that you wouldn't love me back and leave me heartbroken."