Chapter|15.

*Alex*

I have sent Fallon multiple messages between last night and today and still nothing. Maybe the situation with her friend was a lot more serious than she expected it to be. I slouch back in my seat. She'll get back to me when she can. At least I hope she does.

I sigh, "Where is he?" I ask my brother who is sitting next to me. We have been sitting here for an hour now and I'm starting to grow impatient.

"Patient's brother, he does have other meetings."

I roll my eyes. How can someone schedule a meeting with his kids and be late?

"Besides, one day he will retire and we will be the ones running the business," he adds. "Then we can pencil him in and make him wait."

I snort. As good as that sounds, I doubt he'll retire completely. He'll still have some pull around here, I'm sure of it. And to tell you the truth, I don't want him to retire any time soon. I'm happy with my own business.

"Already discussing my retirement I see," my father's voice rings throughout the room. He was wearing a black Armani suit with a red tie. He had his salt and pepper hair slicked back neatly.

"Correction...he was discussing your retirement," I tell him.

"I know," he tells me flatly, taking his seat behind his desk. He narrows his green eyes on my brother. "Can't wait to get rid of me, I see."

If you haven't already picked up on it, Nick and my father don't get along. You would think by the way my mother treats me that I was her pride and joy. But when it comes to Nick, clearly it's him she fancies. Now don't get me wrong, my mother has always treated me well. She just seems to favor Nick more.

I don't know. I don't let it get to me, I know she loves me and that's all that matters. Right?

But when it comes to my and my father's relationship, clearly I'm his favorite. I'm normally the one who accompanies him on most of his business trips and the one he expects most out of, which is odd if you ask me. I thought that it was the firstborn— the eldest who was supposed to be the one to take on the business responsibilities— after their father retires, not the secondborn.

Guess he doesn't find Nick responsible enough!? I don't know.

The tension in the room is so thick right now that if someone was to flick it, it would snap. "Now Father don't go insinuating things that aren't true," Nick says leaning back in his seat comfortably.

"Can we get to the point of why we are here in the first place?" I cut in before things could escalate.

My father sighs and leans back in his chair. "I'm throwing a party and I want you both to be there," he says. "I need you both looking your best. There will be some very important people there that I want you both to meet."

"Future partnerships?" I ask and my father nods.

"Why partner when you could buy?" Nick huffs. "I'd rather own it."

Sometimes I think Nick is stupid.

My father leans forward and folds his hands on his desk. "You can't just talk someone out of their business, Nick. You have to work for it. Besides, this will be a permanent partnership until he is ready to sell, and...when he is, I will be the one to buy it."

I was secretly praying that Nick kept his mouth shut. My father is literally on the edge of his seat right now, waiting for him to say something smart. Surprisingly he didn't.

My father shrugs, "Point is...the two of you are to be there and that's final."

I actually don't mind attending these parties. They always have good food and most importantly, alcohol.