Chapter|30.

*Fallon*

I can't do this. I really can't. I thought that I could. I thought that I was strong enough, but I'm not.

I close my eyes and take in a deep breath. Something that I have been doing a lot of lately.

It helps. A little.

It has only been three days since the attack.

Three fucking days.

It feels a lot longer than three days.

His condition hasn't changed much. The swelling in his brain has gone down some; but not enough for the doctors to consider bringing him out of the coma. He still has a chest tube in place; to ensure his lung doesn't collapse again.

It looks so painful.

However; they did inform us that they would like to attempt to take him off the ventilator by the end of the week to see if his lung is strong enough to hold up on its own.

A knock at the bathroom door brings me out of my thoughts. "Are you alright?" Ally asked. "You've been in there for over an hour.

No! I am not okay. Nothing about this is, okay.

I glance down at my fingers. They look like shriveled-up raisins.

I clear my throat. "Yeah," my voice comes out a little hoarse. "I'm okay. I'll be out in a few."

Yep, I sound totally convincing!

Not!

I've never been good at lying.

She doesn't say anything else, but I know that she is still there; probably leaning against the wall, waiting for me to come out.

She's stubborn like that.

After unplugging the bathtub, I climb out and wrap a towel around my shivering body. I don't know how I managed to last that long in cold water. I hate being cold.

Absolutely hate it.

I'm more of a burn-the-skin kind of girl. The hotter the better; even in the summer.

Yeah, I know, I'm weird.

I dry off and slip on a plain white T-shirt and a pair of black sweatpants.

Fuck the bra and panties today. I don't have time for that shit right now.

I wipe the condensation from the mirror with my hand and cringe at my appearance. The dark circles under my eyes are a sure sign of just how restless I have been.

After brushing my teeth and hair, I pull my hair up in a messy bun and swing the door open, and just as I suspected, Ally is leaning against the wall waiting for me.

"I made you breakfast," she informs me with a smile.

If it wasn't for Ally, I probably wouldn't have eaten at all.

She's my ride-or-die.

"Thank you."

She has no idea how grateful I truly am that she is here with me.

"Eh, just pretend that you like it and we'll call it even," she says playfully and I chuckle.

"Deal."

I follow Ally down the steps and into the kitchen. The smell of eggs and bacon invaded my nostrils and my stomach grumbles.

"Smells amazing," I praise and pull out a chair to sit down.