Chapter|29.

*Fallon*

Seeing him lying there, motionless, hooked up to machines, was enough to send me into hysterics. The news of the attack itself was enough for me, but seeing him in person, like this, it fucking broke me. His once beautiful face was bruised and swollen; with faint traces of blood that tinted his delicate skin.

The universe is so cruel.

I squeeze his hand a little tighter, getting no response.

I don't know why I was expecting one. The doctor had told us all; that they had to put him in an induced coma to reduce the swelling in his brain. They said he could most likely hear us, but responding to any of our questions? Well... that wasn't going to happen anytime soon.

A coma! Can you believe that!? A Motherfucking coma!!

I watch as his chest rises and falls; with the help of the ventilator.

The doctor also informed us that he has several broken ribs and a collapsed lung; which is why he has a tube in his chest cavity to help relieve the pressure around the lung.

I bring his hand up to my mouth and kiss it softly. I can feel how swollen his knuckles are against my lips.

A tear breaks free and slowly slides down my cheek. "They really did a number on you," I whisper, wiping the stray tear away.

Fucking assholes. I hope that they rot in hell for what they did to him and Max.

Oh, Max!

The last thing I heard, Max was headed into surgery. Whether he will be okay or not, I don't know.

I sure hope he will be.

After all; if it weren't for all of his barking, no one would have suspected anything. He's a hero in my eyes.

I sniff and lay my head on the bed next to him and pull his hand to my lips, leaving it linger there. This is the first time I have been alone with him. I just want to feel close to him. I need to be close to him.

At that moment, someone enters the room. I don't bother lifting my head to see who it is. As far as I'm concerned everyone can just fuck off.

The bed dips and long fingernails find their way into my hair, gently scratching at my scalp. Just by the touch, I instantly knew it was, Ally. I begin to sob uncontrollably as she continues to run her fingers through my messy hair.

I lift my head to look at her. She stares down at me with tears in her eyes. Ally wiped away a stray tear and pulled me into her chest, consoling me as I cried.

"This isn't fair!" I say through my sobs, clenching her shirt in my hand. "He didn't deserve this."

Ally rocks me from side to side. "I know," she says softly. By the sound of her voice, you can tell she's struggling to keep her emotions at bay. "Shh..."

"How could someone do this?" I cry out.

I will never understand how someone could commit such a heinous crime and sleep at night.

Her grip tightens around me. "There are a lot of bad people out there, Fallon. And Alex just so happens to be one of the unlucky ones," her voice cracks a little.

"I'm glad you're here," I managed to say.

"I will always be here."

Her words are gold to me.

Someone clears their throat and we both turn our attention to the door. An older-looking nurse stands in the doorway. "I'm sorry to bother you, but visiting hours are over and Mr. Grant needs his rest," she says. "You can come back tomorrow."