Chapter|22

*Alex*

I woke to the annoying sound of my phone ringing from across the room. When I tried to move, I noticed that my arm was pinned. I glanced down at the naked body lying next to me and smiled. I give her a quick kiss on the temple and slowly pull my arm out from underneath her, trying my best not to wake her.

My phone starts ringing again from the pocket of my pants lying on the floor. I quickly fish it out, silencing it, and walk out of the room.

When I reached the living room, Max jumped off the couch and greeted me. I love this dog. He is always happy to see me.

"Hey boy," I pat him on the head and gesture with my hand for him to follow. I don't want to mention going outside. He'll start barking and I don't want him waking up Fallon. We had a pretty...long night. She needs her rest.

I turn on the back porch light and slide open the door. It's not as dark as I thought it was, but dark enough that I still need a light. Max bolts out the door and runs to the yard to do his business.

While he's doing that, I turn on the coffee pot and wait for the coffee to brew. I walk over to Max's food and water bowls and fill them both up. As expected, Max comes in and demolishes them both.

"You act like you never eat," I laugh.

My phone starts ringing for the third time and I groan. I completely forgot she called. Grabbing my phone, I answer it...

"Good morning, mother," I chirp.

"Don't you good morning me," she growls. I roll my eyes and pour myself a cup of coffee. "What were you thinking bring that...that girl with you?"

"Her name is Fallon," I tell her firmly. I'm tired of her acting like she some kind of pest.

"I don't care what her name is, Alexander." Of course, she doesn't. "A lot of people were asking about her." That doesn't surprise me. She did attract a lot of attention.

"What am I supposed to say, hmm?" She shouldn't have to say anything. Fallon and I are nobody's business. "That my son is shacking up with some...some gold-digging whore and is too blind to see it?"

My blood is boiling at this point. "First of all, she isn't some gold-digging whore." Fallon didn't even know who I was until recently. "And I don't appreciate you talking about my girlfriend like that."

"She snorts, "Girlfriend. She is not your girlfriend."

"Oh yes, she is," I confirm with a smirk. "She is and it's going to stay that way until she gets tired of me."

Silence...

If I'm correct, my mother's wheels are turning. She is determined to break me and Fallon up.

"Break up with her..." she screeches through the phone. I have to pull the phone away from my ear. That's how high-pitched it was.

"No," I tell her firmly. I'm tired of her thinking she can run my life. Nick might let her do it, but I won't tolerate it. I'm a grown-ass man.

"Alex..."

"Listen," I cut her off. I'm tired of this conversation. "I don't want to hear it anymore. You're going to have to come to terms with the fact that we are together and there is nothing you can say or do to change that."

I can hear her heavy breathing through the phone. "Alexander," says slowly. "Do you know what this could do to my reputation?"

Her reputation? Is she fucking serious? "Do you even hear yourself right now?" I snap. "I can't believe you would choose your reputation over your own son's happiness."