Chapter Forty

- Third Year at UA -

- Momo's pov -

Shoto and I got back to the dorms from winter break early this morning. Us and our families had spent Christmas together for the third year in a row. We were basically the first ones back so we decided to go train before it got too busy. Now we were on our way back to the dorms to eat and see our classmates.

"I'm excited to see everyone again! I hope they all had a wonderful winter break!" I told Shoto. He nodded.

"Everyone's been so busy too. It'll be good to see everyone before it picks up again."

"It's hard to think that we'll be graduating this year. We've all come so far. It's amazing." I told him. I paused  for a second before adding, "Thank you."

"For what?" He asked, confused.

"I honestly don't think I'd be the person, or the hero, I am today if you weren't there to encourage me back when we were first years."

"Yes you would. It might have taken more time to find your confidence, but you'd still be a fantastic hero. I didn't do that Momo, you did." He squeezed my hand. I smiled at him. Shoto is great, and dating him this past few years has made me so happy.

"Hey, Momo!" A voice called out as we neared the dorms. I saw Kyoka, Kaminari, Sero, and Mina talking in front of the dorms.

"Hi Kyoka! Hi Mina!" I waved at them.

"Momo! Todoroki! How are you two?" Mina exclaimed running over to give me a hug, "Why are you two all sweaty?"

"We were doing some training before everyone else got back."

"Training, uh huh, sure!" Mina winked. I stammered for words and felt me face heat up, "I'm kidding! It's just fun to mess with you!"

"The other girls are inside. Come on, I'm sure they'll be thrilled to see you." Kyoka smiled pulling me inside the dorms.

"Momo! Mina! Kyoka!" Toru beamed rushing over to hug us. We smiled and laughed. I greeted Tsuyu and Ochaco as well. We migrated over to the kitchen and I started making some tea and preparing some food for myself.

"So how was everyone's winter break?" I  asked them. They started going on about hero work, family gatherings, what their significant others got them, and so forth.

"What did Todoroki get you for Christmas, Momo?" Ochaco wondered.

"Oh nothing big." I waved them off, "Here, let me show you."

- Todoroki's pov -

I said hello to Sero and Kaminari before the three of us went inside as well. The rest of the boys greeted us and we began to settle back in, relaxing in the living room area while the girls hung out in the kitchen. All of a sudden the girls started squealing.

"That must mean you did it, huh Todoroki?" Midoriya asked me. I nodded.

"Did what?" Bakugo asked.

"Todoroki proposed!" Mina shrieked in excitement.

"What?" Kirishima gasped, "You proposed to Momo?"

"No, no. They're getting ahead of themselves. It's just a promise ring." I told them, "Momo and I have been dating for a little over two years and I know she's the one I want to be with so I figured I'd let her know that."

"That's very romantic of you Todoroki." Iida told me.

"So how'd you do it?" Midoriya asked.

"Like I said, it wasn't a proposal, so I didn't need to go all out, but I did want to make sure it was special. It was Christmas Eve and our families just finished making Christmas cookies like we do every year. I made some hot chocolate and we curled up in front of the fire; That's one of Momo's favorite things to do. I told her that I wanted to give her her gift now, since we were alone. She seemed concerned and did that cute thing-"

The boys raised an eyebrow, "Oh, you all don't really care about that... Anyway, I assured her that it was nothing bad and I pulled the box out from the beside the couch. I put it in a regular sized box so she'd have no idea what it was. She opened it and I had a bunch of tissue paper inside covering the actual box."

"Wouldn't she feel how light it was and get suspicious?" Bakugo pointed out.

"I put a book in it too so it was heavier. I'm not an idiot."

"I don't know-" Bakugo started before Kirishima smacked him.

"Go on." He smiled.

"She dug the ring box out and her eyes got wide. She opened it up and saw the ring. I showed Midoriya"

"Yeah, it looked very pretty!" Midoriya added, "It's a dainty ring, nothing too extravagant. Sliver, with an oval shaped gem. It lays fairly flat so I think she should be able to wear it while training if she chose to. Sorry... I'm talking too much, point is, it was a great ring for Yaoyorozu."

"She had the same thought the other girls did, she could have sworn I was proposing. I explained to her what I told you all; that it was a promise ring. She looked at it for a while and I got nervous, really really nervous. Turns out she was trying not to cry because she loved it and what it stood for."

"That's really sweet man!" Kirishima told me when I finished.

"Any idea when you're actually going to propose?" Kaminari asked.

"Not for a couple more years. We want to finish school and get settled as pro heroes before we make any plans like that." I glanced over at Momo who looked like she was telling the girls the same story I had just finished. She looked so happy and looked at the ring with such fondness, "Besides, just being with Momo is enough. What we have now is great and I want to enjoy every moment of it."

Momo looked up and made eye contact with me. She smiled at me and I smiled back. I thought I knew what I wanted when I came to UA. So much has changed since then. I met Momo, Midoriya, Kirishima, Iida, Tsuyu, and all my other friends. I found something so much better than what I wanted, I found what I needed and that was unexpected.

The End