Chapter Two

A lot has happened since that first day. I was ranked first in the quirk assessment which I was absolutely thrilled about. My parents were so proud when I told them about it. They beamed about how they knew I would be a great hero. Even my grandparents were impressed by my achievement.

A few days after that, I was voted class vice president. I was definitely bummed that I wasn't the president, but it was certainly better than nothing! Midoriya and I were the class reps for about a day before he passed the role to Iida. That was a bit upsetting as well, but he deserved the role. He's an excellent leader.

I was excelling in my classes, but that was expected. I had always done well in school without really trying. Present Mic was handing back our grammar tests he graded over the weekend. I reached out and grabbed my test. I turned it over to reveal I got a 100% on it. I smiled and tucked it into my folder. Todoroki sighed from his desk next to mine.

"Are you ok Todoroki?"

"I guess.."

"You don't sound too sure. What's up?"

"It's just..." he hesitated

"Go on..." I persuaded softly

"I didn't really get the score I was hoping to on this test..." he said before mumbling, "My father is going to be pissed.."

"I... I could help you" I said ignoring the last bit, "with grammar I mean"

"I've tried studying. It doesn't work."

"How are you studying?"

"Reading my notes and the book"

"That doesn't work for everyone you know" I told him. He looked at me funny.

"What?"

"Not everyone learns by reading. Some learn by listening, others by hands on activities, some by teaching others, and that's just a few! I could help you try different ways of studying to see what works best!" I explained happily. I looked at Todoroki to see a blank expression on his face, "I mean... if you wanted to... don't feel pressured... I just fig-"

"Yaoyorozu," he cut me off, "I appreciate your offer, but I couldn't ask that of you. Thank you."

"Oh.. ok... well good luck studying" I told him with a nod. My cheeks were getting warm.

Before Todoroki could notice, the bell rang ushering us out to combat training. We changed into our uniforms and met Mr. Aizawa in one of the training rooms. I was dreading this... We were doing one on one spars, something I didn't exactly excel at. It just that it takes a lot of time to make something to help me fight. Luckily we weren't using quirks in these spars. That helped me, but my instincts were still slower than most of my classmates.

While everyone else grew up running around, playing, and sparring with their quirks, I was studying to improve my quirk. That coupled with my formal upbringing without a lot of friends meant I purely wasn't as physically prepared as my classmates.

It showed in my sparring. We would each fight for 5 minutes, without seriously harming the other, and if you could pin your opponent down or restrain them you gained a point. While I did well in the quirk assessment, I had time to ponder what to do to succeed. I didn't have that luxury here. I didn't even have my quirk.

So far I had been up against Shoji, Aoyama, and Bakugo. I've only beaten Aoyama out of all of those. Ojrio and I were currently sparring and I just wasn't fast enough. I couldn't react to the moves fast enough and if I was, I wasn't strong enough to counter back effectively.

I found myself pinned down again as Ojiro and I finished our spar.

"One, two, three! Ojiro wins!" One the bots announced.

I sighed and smacked the ground with my fist, upset about how poorly I was doing. He helped me up and apologized for pinning me to the ground.

"Don't apologize, it was just the assignment! You did what you were supposed to and you did it very well!" I reassured him with pink cheeks and a nevous grin, "I'm just frustrated with myself, that's all."

"Switch." Aizawa called out looking at his stopwatch. I was in the half of the class that stayed in place while the other half switched places. Ojiro bowed and stepped over to the next person he would face, Hagakure. Todoroki walked in front of me and bowed.

"Yaoyorozu," He greeted

"Todoroki," I said returning the bow.

"Begin." Aizawa said starting his watch. Todoroki and I moved into a fighting stance. I had my fists held up in a way that was easy to defend from an attack. Todoroki was watching, almost as if he were afraid to make the first move against me. I knew that if I attacked first, he would grab my arm, and push me to the ground. On the other hand, if he attacked first I'm not sure I could counter...

I quickly moved forward and swiped my leg at his calves in an attempt to knock him off his feet. He jumped over my leg and took advantage of my momentum that I had built to knock him down. Since I didn't make contact, I kept spinning and ended up with my back facing Todoroki.

I scolded myself for being so foolish. I quickly ducked to avoid Todoroki's attempt to immobilize me. It worked. I quickly rolled away and got to my feet again. Todoroki seemed to predict that and was ready to make another move before I could even get to my feet.

He lunged forward and grabbed one of my wrists and twisted my arm behind my back. I made a face because of the painful position while Todoroki grabbed my other arm and held it behind my back.

"One, two, three! Todoroki wins!" The bot announces. I groaned and shoke my head. Todoroki let go of me and helped me stand up.

"You're kinda slow," Todoroki told me.

"I know..." I sighed rubbing my shoulder, "I need to practice more..." Todoroki was silently watching me with an intense look on his face.

"What?" I asked blushing from the attention.

"I have a proposition for you.." he said softly.

"What kind of proposition?"

"Remember how you offered to tutor me?" He questioned and I nodded, "well.... what if you tutored me in grammar and I helped you with sparring?"

"Really? You'd do that?"

"You were willing to help me, I just want to return the favor."

"You don't have-"

"I want to." He insisted causing me to blush

"Well, then it's a deal!" I smiled, "where would you like to study? The library?"

"No... That's too quiet... It's not realistic.. Plus we can't spar there"

"Ok, that's true. Then one of our houses?" I asked thinking about what kind of house Todoroki lived in. Was it big? Small? What was his room like? Momo, stop it. You're just tutoring him.

"Not my house." Todoroki practically demanded. I widened my eyes at his comment. He must have noticed, "it's... uhh... messy right now... yeah..."

"Oh, well we can go to my house then. It's not a big deal!"

"Can we go today?"

"If you want to."

"I would like to, yes."

"Today it is then!" I said flashing a smile to him. The corners of his mouth seemed to twitch up a little bit, but I couldn't totally tell.