Chapter Eight

I could've have made a worse choice for my internship. If I wanted to get dolled up and go to photo shoots, I would've spent the week with my grandma.

I had really intended to give my all to this because Uwabami gave me an offer, but the longer we were with her the more pathetic I felt. She only chose me for my looks, not my abilities? Am I that useless? That I can only succeed at being a model?

Kendo and I were watching Uwabami pose for picture after picture while we acted like her personal assistants. I held her bag and looked at the timeline for the day. I sighed and glanced at Kendo. She looked even more uncomfortable than I did.

"You ok Kendo?" I asked

"Yeah, I'm fine... I just wish we could do more than watching her do photoshoots, commercials, and sign autographs..." she complained

"Me too. I chose her because she's smart and has a good reputation, but this clearly isn't what I had in mind..." I admitted.

"The next time I see another photo shoot will be too soon!" She laughed

"Tell me about it"

"Alright girls, let's head back for dinner now!" Uwabami tells us walking off the set.

"Thank goodness! I'm starving!" Kendo tells me

"Me too" I said as my phone buzzed. I pulled it out and I saw a text from Midoriya. That's odd. He never texts me. I open up the text and see that all he sent was his location.

"Peculiar..." I muttered

"What?" Kendo asked

"Just a classmate. I hope he's ok..." I was a couple hours away and by the time I arrived the trouble, if there was any, would be long over.

I pulled up the news on my phone.

"Oh my gosh!" I stopped walking and stared at my phone.

"What is it?" Uwabami asked turning around. I couldn't even begin to explain so I just handing my phone over to Uwabami and Kendo.

"That's horrible!" Kendo exclaimed.

"That's quite a disaster..." Uwabami agreed, "Unfortunately we're too far away and we should stay here in case an attack happens here. We'd hate to be stretched too thin in other parts of the country because of this."

"I guess that makes sense..." Kendo said. As much as I hated it, Uwabami was right. If every pro hero went to help, crime would probably spike and countless other cities would be left defenseless. I nodded in agreement.

"Come now, let's get some food and keep an eye on the news. We'll get takeout!" Uwabami tells us. My eyes went wide and I looked at Kendo who had a similar expression. We had only been having 4 star meals or higher the entire internship. Take out was unheard of.

It was a stressful night watching the news, but it was nice to relax in our pajamas eating takeout on Uwabami's couch.

》《-》《-》《-》《-》《

The next morning I woke up on the couch. Kendo and Uwabami were both passed out and the TV was still on with the volume turned down. I grabbed the remote and turned up the sound.

"The Hero Killer: Stain was caught last night in Hosu by the pro hero Endeavor." The newscaster announced.

"Hey guys, wake up! The Hero Killer was caught!" I said shaking the two of them and repeating what I heard on the news.

"Wha... wait... really?" Kendo groaned waking up, "The Hero Killer was caught?"

"Yes! Endeavor defeated him!" I told her

"As expected of the number two hero!" Uwabami praised while stretching

"Yeah..." I said thinking back to Todoroki. Wasn't he interning at his dad's agency? I pulled my phone out and texted Midoriya.

[Hey Midoriya, are you ok?
I got your text last night,  
but I was too far away to. 
go help out.                          ]
You at 10:43 am

[Oh, yeah! I'm fine! Sorry
if I worried you!]
Midoriya at 10:46 am

[I'm glad to here that             
Midoriya! Do you by chance
have Todoroki's phone         
number? I want to make.    
sure he's ok after last night.]
You at 10:47 am

[Yeah, I do! Here you go!]
Midoriya at 10:49 am

[Thank you! Have a good
rest of your day!               ]
You at 10:50 am

[You too Yaoyorozu!]
Midoriya at 8:51

I saved Todoroki's number to my contacts and started a new message. I typed and deleted the message at least three times before settling on the right wording and hit send.

[Hello Todoroki. It's        
Yaoyorozu. I got your    
number from Midoriya,
I hope that's ok. I saw   
that your dad took        
down the Hero Killer   
and I know you're         
interning at his agency.
I just wanted to make  
sure that you're             
alright.                            ]
You at 8:59 am

I hope he didn't think I was too weird for getting his number and texting him...

- Todoroki -

I was listening to Midoriya and a nurse talk when my phone chirped. Midoriya paused to grin at me before returning to his conversation. I unlocked my phone and saw a text from an unknown number.

[Hello Todoroki. It's
Yaoyorozu. I got your
number from Midoriya,
I hope that's ok. I saw
that your dad took
down the Hero Killer
and I know you're
interning at his agency.
I just wanted to make
sure you're alright.        ]
Unknown at 9:00 am

I looked up at Midoriya. He and the nurse had finished talking and she was walking out of the room.

"You gave Yaoyorozu my phone number?" I asked and his eyes widened.

"I thought you two were friends! I didn't think you'd mind!" He rambled before mumbling, "I also didn't think she'd rat me out..."

"I don't mind..." I admitted feeling my cheeks get hot. I looked out the hospital window trying to avoid Midoriya's gaze.

"Woah, wait! Todoroki! Do you like Yaoyorozu?" Midoriya gasped and I felt my cheeks get even hotter.

"Shush Midoriya..." I said avoiding the conversation.

"You do like her!" He beamed

"And so what if I do?" I asked and Midoriya just smiled knowingly and let me be. I was terrified to text her back though. I quickly typed out a message to keep her from waiting.

[Hello Yaoyorozu. It's     
fine that Midoriya gave
you my number. I'm     
fine.                                 ]
You at 9:06 am

[That's good. I was              
worried about you.]
Yaoyorozu at 9:08 am

I stared at my phone. She was worried about me? I was in awe. I put my phone away because I wasn't sure how to respond and I didn't want to scare her off. I stood up from the bed and started to gather up my belongings so I could return to my internship. I'll talk to Yaoyorozu when we're all done with our internships.