Chapter Thirty Two

- Yaoyorozu -

Saturday came soon enough. School seemed to be flying by. Shoto and I were visiting his mom again today.

"You'll never believe what Momo did last week." Shoto began, taking his bag off after she let us in.

"Oh yeah?" She asked starting to make pour water for tea, "What did she do?"

"She pretty much told dad to get his act together."

"Really? You actually told him to get his act together?" Rei questioned. She looked very impressed, or is that worried? I couldn't quite tell...

"Well, I wouldn't say that!" I insisted waving my hands, "I just didn't like how he was treating Shoto here."

"So what did you say?" She wondered bringing me a cup of tea.

"Oh, just that Shoto and I wouldn't visit if he kept acting like this." I told her.

"And? What did he do?"

"Well, I'm not sure what his initial reaction was. I was too flustered and had to leave. Shoto came with me." I explained, "He did come see us later and asked to talk to me. He apologized for his behavior and said he was going to try and change."

"Which is a complete lie." Shoto commented shaking his head, "He'll never change."

"I keep telling you Shoto, you should have seen his eyes! He looked very sincere."

"Momo, I grew up with him. That man has always been awful."

"I understand, and this clearly doesn't erase what he's done, but if he honestly does change, I think we should give him a chance!"

Shoto was about to give another counterpoint when a knock on the door interrupted. We all looked at each other. To my knowledge, no one else really visited Rei - especially not when Shoto was here. Rei stood up and went to answer the door. She slid it open to reveal Endeavor standing there holding a bouquet of flowers

"Enji?" Rei asked

"Endeavor" I stood up

"Son of a bitch..." Shoto growled

"Shoto!" Rei scolded.

"Shoto?" Endeavor asked, "What are you doing here?"

"Visiting mom, what else would I be doing here?"

"Fair enough..." Endeavor sighed. "I was hoping I could do this in private though."

"No way. I'm not leaving you alone with her." Shoto argued, clenching his fists. I could feel the air get colder as frost started to cover his right hand. I placed my hand on him leg in an attempt to calm him down.

"I don't mind if Shoto and Yaoyorozu stay." Endeavor decided.

"Why are you here Enji?" Rei asked him.

"I came..." he faltered before continuing, "I came to apologize to you."

He held the flowers out to her. She looked surprised by the gesture.

"Look, I know I don't deserve your forgiveness. I know I did some horrible things. I'm trying to become better though. You don't have to accept it, but many sources say that I need to make amends with those I've hurt. So, here I am. I'm truly sorry for how I treated you and our children. You didn't deserve that."

The room was silent when he finished. Rei still hadn't taken the flowers from him. Endeavor sighed and placed them on the table.

"And Shoto." He continued, "I'm sorry for how I treated you too. I put you through some horrible things when you were little. I deprived you of a childhood. I hurt your relationships with your siblings and your mother. I also could have handled meeting Yaoyorozu much better. I'm so sor-"

"Where is all this shit coming from?" Shoto yelled. "You can't just spew out words that have no meaning and expect for me to believe them!"

"Shoto, I-"

"No, old man! Listen here! You're really shitty and that's that. No amount of 'sorry's or 'changed behavior' is going to fix that!" Shoto added.

"Shoto, listen..." Endeavor insisted, "As much as I hate to admit it, I actually started to go to therapy to try and improve. I want to be a decent father to you, Fuyumi, and Natsuo. But I can't do it alone."

"Go to hell."

"I am sorry Shoto. I truly am. I'm going to go now." Endeavor decided. "Rei, if you would like to, I want to check you out of the hospital. I want you to have your life back. You don't even have to stay at the house. I'll rent an apartment for you. You can live a normal life there and I'll stay out of it if that's what you want. I just wish I could go back in time and fix the mistakes I made... Let me know what you decide. Shoto, Yaoyorozu, I hope to see you for dinner another time. Goodbye."

Endeavor left the room and closed the door behind him. Shoto was absolutely fuming.

"Can you believe that asshole? He can't just waltz in here after all these years and expect it to all be ok!"

"Shoto! Watch your language!" He mom scolded, "Besides, it really does seem like he's trying."

"Not you too!" He groaned.

"Shoto, I'm sorry, but I do think your dad is trying to change." I told him, "Why can't you even try to work with him?"

"I know what that man is really like. He's manipulative and abusive. That doesn't change in a week."

"We're not saying that he's a completely different man, only that he's trying to do better." Rei added.

"That's it." He decided, "I need some air."

He rushed out of the room and even forgot to close the door, leaving it wide open. I felt tears start to prick my eyes and Rei sighed.

"I know it's hard for him, but I've known Enji for a long time and I can tell what that man is thinking." Rei thought aloud, "He's being genuine about this. I know he is. He even remembered my favorite flower..."

I stood up and went to get Shoto. I couldn't let him storm off like this. I hurried down the hall and caught him waiting by the elevator.

"Shoto!" I called out.

"What is it Momo?" He asked, still agitated from the earlier conversation.

"I'm sorry about all this..." I admitted feeling a tear slide down my cheek. "I didn't think my outburst at dinner would cause the much chaos..."

"Oh, Momo..." He softened noticing the tears that were now steadily falling. He reached out for my hand and pulled me closer. He wrapped his arms around me. "I'm sorry for getting mad at you. I guess I'm just mad about how one outburst from you changed his mind when the countless ones from his family didn't. That's why I think he's doing this just for the appearance."

"I understand that Shoto... We don't have to talk about it if you don't want to. All in all, we don't interact with your dad all that much."

"We can just agree to disagree for now and see what happens. If his change continues, I might change my mind."

"And if it stops, I'll change mine. Now let's go back and finish our visit with your mother."

He nodded and we headed back to her room. We walked in and saw Rei emptying her dresser into a suitcase. Shoto's breathing grew heavy and I noticed his grip on my hand tightened.

"I believe him." She told us, "I'm moving back in."

A/N: sorry! My internship has been so bad the past couple days!! But here's an update for you! It's kinda an angsty one! Oops, sorry. Well I hope you enjoy and thanks for reading!!