Chapter 15

It was a new day, a new beginning. There wasn’t a sun to shine over my head but either way the clouds seemed white and happy. There were no threats of rain or snow. I felt the sheets pull back as I stretched and curved upwards. I laid flat for a while and just stared up at the ceiling. The room was cool, calming the sweat off my face. I wiped the crust from my eyes and tossed in bed to make sure I took in all the sleep I could get. I smelled the hot coffee brewing just outside my door and closed my eyes.

I wanted to feel like the innocent eighteen year old again, that only knew the meaning of success. Love just ruins every thing. I tossed on to my stomach grabbing my new cell phone.  Observed the call log and frowned that I hadn’t gotten any of my messages returned. Jake must have been busy. I picked up my body room the bed and walked out the door.  My hair hung loose around my face, while my pajamas ran down to my toes. I really needed to invest in some lingerie. Not that I was going to get lucky any time soon. I brushed my teeth not even trying to hide the drooping eyes. I patted my dry face with lotion and went in to the kitchen.

Just a minute ago my eyes had been relaxed almost closed but the sight of the similar copper red hair widen out my sockets. I started to feel the heaviness of my heart. I gathered up my hair and tried to run back in to the room when Megan called out my name.

“Kim!” she yelled from across the hall. I rolled my eyes and bit my lips. I could hear the light sniffles and sobs escaping from Mom’s mouth.

“Megan, I just came out to pee. I’m going back to sleep” I said. Megan grunted

“Don’t you lie to me.” She said. I turn around to meet my mother’s gaze. Her eyes were as equally puffy and swollen as mine, except she had grown wrinkles. I sighed at the sight of her scrawny arms and the thin waist that used to have trouble fitting through the door. What had happened to her? I let the daughter instinct take over my anger. Her hair spilled over her shoulder cropped by the shoulder. She had black pins securing the front. Her dress seemed to vaguely dance around her instead of fitting her.

“Mom?” I asked. If it weren’t for those green hazel eyes and that annoying color of copper, she wouldn’t have recognized her. She cried out and almost threw her mug over the counter. She ran towards me with open arms and squeezed me until I could see stars. I took in all the air I could get but it just wasn’t enough.

“Kimmy! I missed you!” she said smiling. Her head buried into my breast. Either she’s gotten shorter or I’ve just grew three inches last night. I looked down and see her wearing flip flops. I wanted to gasp and tell her that she had completely lost  it, but she probably already knows that.

“Mom, what happened to you?” I asked. She stopped smiling and went back to sit on the sofa. I followed taking the coffee mug from Megan. She excused herself and walked out the loft for a jog, which was funny since Megan hated to work out.

“I’ve been so mean to you, so rude. I’ve always said you weren’t good enough.” she said. I stopped her and had to give her another hug. Her body was cold not like the warmth and heat she used to give off.

“Please tell me it’s not because of me, or Dad.” I said. She only looked away  for a second then turned back around.

“I don’t know what I’m doing with my life.” she finally admitted. “I thought I was going to be happy being single, and I was, I am- but then I remember Thanks Giving, Christmas and your birthday, when your Dad and I used to plan it together. I missed the times when we used to fight over small things, but then the next day I would be glad that I had gotten away from the boredom. I’m so confused Kimmy.” she said covering her face with her hands.

“Did you talk to Dad about this?” I asked. 

“No, just- I couldn’t speak to him. He sounded so tired. You two mean so much to me, you two are the most important parts of my life and I just can’t shake the feeling of guilt. Like I’m missing something. It’s-”