Familiar [39]

Tempest offered Igris a seat on her back, but he declined, sticking by (Y/n)'s side.

With Jill leading, the journey was smooth and swift. If there were any Constructs of monsters on the way, Jill masterfully avoided them. Thus, within a few minutes, the master and Summons turned down a corner that clearly led to Yogumunt.

(Y/n) held his hand out, and his Summons all stopped on the spot.

It was quite hard to sense, but Yogumunt was certainly in the room.

However, that was not what caused (Y/n) to stop. Instead, it was because he heard faint talking in the room.

He reached out to Tempest and Fused, using his heightened senses to listen to the conversation.

An oddly familiar woman's voice rung out. She sounded annoyed. "And what happened to the Hunters you abducted?"

Yogumunt's voice quivered, "W-Well, I took the souls of a few of them and... a few of them are scattered around the Gate. Don't worry, my lady, they will not be an issue for you. You won't have to encounter any of them."

'My lady?' (Y/n) thought, his eyebrows furrowing.

The woman scowled. "What about the boy with golden eyes?"

Yogumunt's voice perked up. "I've kept a close eye on him, like you've told me to. He can access Mana of Death now and—"

She cut him off, her voice strict and firm. "Y'know, we don't need a status report. Just tell us what happened."

Yogumunt's voice shrunk back. "Last I saw of him, he fled into the Snowfield with the two other Hunters I'd seen him with last time."

There was a brief silence. Before the woman spoke up, repeating, "Two other Hunters?"

"Yes, yes, they seem to be his... allies, although their bond seems closer to a... friendship? I was going to use their souls too, but the woman had more energy than I anticipated, so they escaped. But don't worry, they can't escape this Gate without my permission," Yogumunt confirmed, sounding proud.

"And what about the staff?"

"Ah, I've been researching it just as you recommended! It's truly a wonderful thing, and it even allowed me to extract a soul that was given Death's Blessing. Surely with more experimentation, I will be able to learn the information that was lost with Ashborn all those years ago!" Yogumunt sounded excited but reeled himself back slowly. "Ah, of course, that's only because of the help you gave me, my lady. This would be impossible without you."

The woman snorted. "In addition, what happened to the golden eyed Hunter's weapon?"

Yogumunt was quiet for a moment. "His... his weapon, my lady? What do you mean?"

"...We know he has a dagger named Legacy. Is that weapon with him, Yogumunt?"

(Y/n) could almost hear Yogumunt swallowing nervously before he spoke. "O-Oh, that! Y-Yes, I mean, no! I took the weapon from him for more research, since it seems to be the weapon Ashborn used to use, my lady."

There was a pressure that nearly stunned (Y/n) that came from the room. "So, you're saying that (Y/n) Sung is stranded in the Snowfield with monsters and no weapon?"

Yogumunt's squeaked, "Y-Yes, mistress. I-If we ignore those other humans, that boy, (Y/n) Sung, may be stranded as we speak."

The woman tsked, and the pressure let up. (Y/n) could hear Yogumunt taking a deep breath in.

"Well, he doesn't die so easily anyway. Speaking of," (Y/n) could feel the woman's attention fall on him. The doors to the room burst open as a blur of raw speed came rushing towards him.