Memories 2 [34]

The next two months were genuinely nice. Despite losing his mom only a little bit before meeting the two Hunters, they brightened up his days. It didn't take long for the three of them to start entering raids together, under the Korean Hunters Association.

Every raid was nice and clean with the involvement of two B-Ranks, especially because most of the Gates were E or D-Ranked.

As the sun nicely swept over the raid group, Sung relaxed next to Penny as she checked her equipment. William stepped away to talk to Song Chi-Yul, since he was leading the raid.

"Are you positive that you don't need any equipment, Goldie? I know you've had a rough time since you can't grow like everyone else can, but you've got decent senses. Some extra equipment could go a long way for you," Penny said, throwing back some of her drink.

Sung shrugged nonchalantly. "I'll be fine. I've survived for the last few months with only a few injuries from time to time."

Penny stared at him for a minute but let up when he didn't falter. The next minute, William came back with his signature smile on his face.

"We're ready to go when you both are. This Gate's only D-Ranked, so it shouldn't be much of a problem," William told the two, receiving determined nods from them both.

Penny tapped her armored feet against the ground, while William tightly gripped his bow.

The two were very protected compared to the other raid members. Penny had azure blue armored leggings on, assisting her kick-oriented fighting style. Her other armor was light but powerful, protecting her chest and arms.

William's armor was made of cloth. It was still quite defensive, but it bolstered his magical abilities more than it protected him. He needed excess mana for his main ability, mana arrows, so he focused on not being hit more than having defensive armor.

Both B-Ranks readied themselves while the E-Rank followed them. The 15-person raid group entered the Gate, but as Sung stepped through it, his stomach churned.

All his senses screamed out at him, warning him, begging him to flee. And at the same time, the Gate shifted uncomfortably, locking the mana flow. Suddenly, no one on the outside could get in, and vice-versa.

Inside the Gate, the environment was unexpected. It was a desolate wasteland of sand, a desert of blistering heat. As the group looked around in raw incomprehension, (Y/n) spoke first, how voice low. Only Penny and William could hear him.

"I've got a really bad feeling about this...." He muttered, catching both of his friends' attention. They both started scouting out the area, watching both sides of the E-Rank Hunter.

"What... the hell...?" Kim Sang-Shik spat, confusion rising to his face.

The raid crew had a lot of similar reactions, chaos and bewilderment guiding the group's actions. Gladly, Song Chi-Yul knew how to rein in the group's confusion.

"Everyone!" he yelled. "This isn't a normal Gate, rather, this is a Red Gate! We've been transported to—"

Before the group's leader could continue, there was a deep rumbling, and the sand started to part, giving way to the massive body of a monster—a giant desert centipede—which was abruptly racing towards the group, its wide mouth open and ready to devour the mostly low-ranked Hunters.

Screams rang out through the Hunters as they tried to get a proper footing to run away, but they failed to do so. A blur shot past the group, planting its foot directly into the giant monster's head, stopping it for a second.

"William!" Penny howled, jumping off the centipede's head.

"Already on it!" He replied, letting five mana arrows fly from his fingers. They sped past the unexpecting Hunters and slammed into the centipede's head. As Penny landed softly next to Song Sang-Shik, William snapped, smiling. "Boom."