Training [20]

The redhead, the golden-eyed man, and the so-called "too handsome to handle" man all yawned at once. They all laid in their beds, looking up to the ceiling of the room.

Fifteen minutes passed in total silence, only the soft whirring of the building's heater to keep them company.

"...Psst!" Fanzer whispered, turning in his bed to look at (Y/n). "Are you awake over there?"

A minute passed with nothing, and Fanzer was about to turn back over in bed, but then the Korean Hunter spoke.

"...Reluctantly, yes," (Y/n) replied in a similarly low tone. "You can't sleep, huh?"

"Yeah," Fanzer softly sighed.

"Me too," (Y/n) admitted.

This time, the woman in the room spoke up, "If we're all awake, there's no real point in whispering, right?" Ichigo sat up, a troubled expression on her face. Her eyes were heavy with bags, but there was a certain restlessness within her gaze.

"Oh, so you're awake too?" Fanzer hummed, sitting up in bed. He glanced at the room's light switch, and for a moment the air of the room started to follow his will, but he quickly stopped his action. He quickly hopped out of bed―yelping softly, having somehow forgotten his more persistent wounds―and flicked on the lights on. "What's keeping you two up?"

(Y/n) shielded his eyes from the light for a moment before slowly sitting up himself. He sighed, opting not to respond.

Ichigo noticed and spoke up, "Every time I try to sleep, that werewolf shows up in my head. It wasn't the strongest enemy I've ever faced, far from it, but... it fought us without bias, without prejudice, and without mercy. Alone, I think I would've died to it. And that's ignoring Yogumunt, who... well, was—is—simply out of my league."

There was a thick silence for a minute.

"Yeah, I know what you mean," Fanzer sighed. "My mother was an absolute monster when it came to anything mana-related, but Lycaon was on a completely different spectrum of power. The recklessness, the overwhelming presence, and the sheer power was completely unrefined, and really just... poor, but it was still enough to threaten all of our lives. Yogumunt's presence didn't help out that much either, huh?"

(Y/n) clenched his jaw, "We were weak. We... are weak. If someone like Cha really wanted us all dead, could we do much to stop them?"

A silence settled over the group.

"And yet, there's still no point in us being sad like this, is there?" (Y/n) continued.

Ichigo nodded, "Yeah, yeah. There's no point in being senselessly sad. We have to become stronger, that's our only way forward."

Fanzer sighed, "While I definitely don't plan on running into anymore Red Gates, getting stronger makes sense, especially if I want to steal from the best of the best. I've gotta live if I wanna be the World's Best Thief."

(Y/n) looked down at his hands, softly nodding. "In ten days, I'm gonna try to fight Cha on my own."

Fanzer's head snapped towards (Y/n).

"Huh??? What are you on about?" Fanzer leaned closer, an equally shocked and confused expression covering his face. "Do you really think you can get strong enough in ten days to fight against the same woman who basically pounded us all into mulch?"

(Y/n) was quiet, blinking.

"No, no, no! The answer is no, you can't fight against her in such a short period of time!" Fanzer crossed his arms dramatically, huffing and puffing in desperation. He shot his attention over to the injured woman, "Ichigo, surely you know what I'm talking about, right?!"