8. Endeavors

Namjoon's P.O.V.

It's one of those calm nights, soft snores the only sound in the almost dark room. I have been staring at the ceiling for some time now, a lot of things muddling my brain but a particular message relayed by Hoseok had disturbed my peace entirely.

The words rang in my ears 'your winter sleep is soon to end. The General wants to meet.' The anxiety was getting the best of me assuming what waits for me and Taehyung. Rolling over to my side, I pulled the sleeping boy beside me closer to my chest, pushing my nose into his blonde fringes as I desperately tried to calm myself down. He shifted lightly in his sleep snuggling closer to me. He's a real fluff ball when he isn't running that sassy mouth of his. I softly rubbed a thumb on his full lips which were still red due to the rough kissing, and him trying to muffle his cries of ecstasy a while ago. I don't even know how long will I get tohold you like this. I pulled the blanket up covering him from the chill before leaving him alone on the bed.

I needed to check the package Hoseok handed me today, poor Seokjin wasn't even aware what he had handed his best friend as a gift Jungkook has sent.

Dressing up in my sweatpants and sweatshirt I tread down the stairs carrying the package with me and say myself down on the couch to begin my night's work. It amazes me how hard Jackson has been trying to work through things. There were several reports, Rayden not being the target anymore, his men busy in their wild goose chase, the investigation shifting it's course to aim at the team leader of the mission, the Major who had gone MIA but still no clue about the document or the man in the mask who tried to shoot at Taehyung that night.

This is not good. Although I was aware this would happen sooner or later.

I sat resting my chin on my knuckles as I felt the seriousness of the situation seep in. Yes, Jackson had been working hard but even his powers have limits. I know they must have cornered him to a position where he had no other way to go but to abide by the General's commands.

Four days. I have four days to come up with some remedy. I stood up as my anxiety surged, pacing along the living room. There's no use trying to run anymore, or it will be Jackson who will be put in trouble. They're already after him.

I walk up to the kitchen grabbing a glass of water, my throat suddenly feeling too dry. It is better to explain things rather than run away, if they really believe that Taehyung knows something they are going to hunt him down anyway.

Gulping down a few mouthful I exhale, I know things won't be easy but I need to try. I need to try to fix this as good as I can, if I can. Finally deciding that Taehyung does not need to know about anything, I'd rather check what it is that the General wants.

Being the senior who had recruited him as a trainee and put him to lead a team to mission it's my duty to protect the boy from any false allegations, especially after what he had been through and how miserably I had failed him the first time. Yes, it was my failure. I know he would never say it out loud but it is my fault that I agreed to put his brother on such a critical mission, Minho had warned me but I was so proud of those two. So proud.

I return my gaze to the papers spread over the low coffee table, among the various reports and snapshots one image caught my attention, it was a side profile of a man dressed in black with a mask covering his face, the one whom I had stopped from shooting at Taehyung. Checking again I realized that his profile and body proportions do not match with any of the men who worked for Rayden. Who are you? I picked up the picture and  looked intently, my mind speeding through a million assumptions.

My sleep broke as I heard hasty footsteps down the stairs, as my senses cleared from the grogginess I realized I had fallen asleep on the couch.

This was almost a regular instance for the boy, he would deny to stay over every time I would ask him to but would end up falling asleep anyway. I decide not to let him know that I was awake, this being my regular act as I lay secretly listening to his movements and murmurs. He scurried through the living room mumbling curses to himself, "Idiot Jimin! Stupid Jimin! How many times have I told you not to fall asleep! Not supposed to stay over! Not supposed to stay over!" He kept biting out the words, he really tries too hard to keep up that cheeky impassive facade of his. I can see right through it you know.