(3.54) The Silence

A gentle wind blew through Eden's hair as she sat in the rocking chair on the balcony of the compound. Spread out on the blanket next to her was Haven. The baby played with her teething toy and was banging her wooden blocks against the railing of the balcony just hard enough to make a slight dent in them. With a fond smile, Eden watched her daughter play and idly wondered how much trouble she'd cause them in the future. Seeing as Haven was the only baby on the planet with any kind of superhuman strength.

It was late in the night yesterday when Klaus had finally assured Eden that both Dahlia and Esther were in fact dead. After recalling to her the events of the night, Klaus and Eden watched their daughter sleep until the sun came up and Klaus excused himself from the two of them with the promise to be back soon. Eden had yet to see him again, but she was sure that he would be around soon. Especially with the current tension surrounding their fortress. Right now though, she only wanted watch her baby enjoy a day to herself. A day where she was not being threatened and a day where she was free to be exactly what she was: a child.

Spinning her wedding ring around on her finger, Eden sighed. As content as the young hybrid was with her daughter's newfound safety, the same could not be said about about the safety of her family. Rebekah had chosen to stay in her witch body and was now leaving New Orleans to find a solution to bringing back Kol, Elijah was here but Eden could tell that the events that had unfolded in the last twenty-four hours had unraveled him. Eden herself still wasn't trustful of Freya, despite Klaus' invitation for her to move into the compound. She had lost her pack and in doing so she had also lost her best friends.

In the silence that had surrounded Eden and Klaus last night Klaus had finally admitted to her what exactly had become the fate of her pack and friends. When the hybrid went to Marcel's he had acquired the same curse that had turned the Crescents from humans to wolves. The pack had made the painful transformation from human to wolf and would remain so until the next full moon. As Eden digested this information Klaus continued to say that Dahlia had modified the curse to now include both Jana and Jupiter. A few strands of hair had changed the women into wolves and though Eden was still livid with the both of them, she was unsure how she felt about their punishment.

While admittedly, she might have been a little rash in biting Jupiter, she did what was necessary to get back to her child. This was a strange feeling the brunette had as in the previous months she had actually entrusted Haven to her. Yet it was this trust that had come back to bite Eden in the ass in the most biblical sense. For Jupiter to assume that Eden was not trustworthy with her own child? That was a stake to the heart in its own right. But to use her magic against Eden in an effort to stop her from reclaiming what was rightfully hers? As if she was not there to see how much danger Haven had been in, even while still encased in her mother's womb? And for both her and Jana to cast such incredulous glances at her when she defended herself as if she were just some monster.

Eden sighed, her eyes downcast as she let in the thought of her cousin.

For months, Jana had abandoned Eden in favor of her wolf brethren and as a result they looked to her as more of a pack member than Eden was. Mere hours after her daughter was born, the Latina had jetted off to Barcelona as Eden grieved not only the loss of her child but the loss of her human life as well. And in the following months Jana seemed to find it easier to stay with Hayley than it was to face Eden and her pain. It broke the hybrid's heart and despite her child playing safely at her feet, she felt just as hollow as she had the night she had given birth. Though as much as her heart hurt she could not let herself be sympathetic because then she would have to let the pain in.

In truth, this was the closest Eden ever felt to being truly alone. In a matter of weeks Dahlia had turned this families in on itself and they stood by while it happened. All the young hybrid wanted was her daughter returned home safely. Now there was a bridge between her and her two friends and Eden didn't know if it would ever end. Or if she was even sure she had wanted it to end. Yes, Eden was not entirely innocent but had she been so wrapped up in Klaus and Haven that she hadn't seen the betrayal coming?

"We'll have to replace the railing soon if she continues at this rate." Klaus remarked quietly as he came up behind Eden, startling her from her thoughts. Sliding the ring right-side up, Eden glanced beside her as she saw Klaus standing over Haven as she played.

"She's a strong girl, it's time everyone saw it." Eden responded, watching Haven continue her banging. There was beat of silence before Klaus spoke again.

"I've given Marcel back the reins of the city. After the explosive first year Haven has been having I figured she could use a little extra attention." Eden hummed.

"That, coupled with the fact that she doesn't have a long list of babysitters anymore." She deadpanned. Klaus smirked lightly.

"Yes, well. For the time being, it seems that I can't really trust my daughter around anyone." He mused. Eden smiled lightly, quiet for a second as she thought about what she wanted to say.

"Niklaus, what will we do?" She asked him, and Klaus could hear the worry in her voice. Standing to his feet, Klaus pulled Eden out of the chair and took her hands in his.

"I promised you that I would make a world that was safe for you and Haven. I plan to stand by that." Klaus told her. Eden let out a small breath before she nodded her head. Klaus pulled her in for a hug as he placed a kiss on top of her head.

Eden was not sure how she would mend what had been broken these last few weeks. She had all the time in the world and yet it seemed that she would spend it alone. Without her friends at her side then Eden was still hollow. And with that, she came to the depressing realization that she was right back to where she had begun. First she had lost child, and now she had lost her family.

If you got a notification that I uploaded yesterday it was because I accidentally posted it while in the midst of editing it and I'm sorry! I know this chapter is short but we still have the Interlude left so don't worry. Also quick side note! Please disregard my last author's note because I was having a writer's high and was having a bit of writer's block about this book and I've worked through them both so I'm not promising anything of either book now but you will see both soon that's for sure! I do have the name of both books though!

The next book to this series is called Sleepwalking and my new book will be called Reign. Excited about both and cannot wait to see you guys there!