(3.48) Idle Chat

As Eden entered the compound the next day, she found Klaus in their room, painting some rather grim images on his canvases. Pausing to study him, she found that she almost didn't want to give up her view.

"So," Eden said finally when she knew she could stare no longer. "I had just put Haven down for a nap when I got a call from Rebekah telling me that Dahlia is coming for the baby. Tomorrow night. Care to explain?" She asked her husband. Klaus rolled his eyes, annoyed that Rebekah had called Eden.

"What more is there to explain darling? Seems Rebekah has filled you in nicely." He muttered, keeping his back to Eden. The brunette stepped further into the room as she leaned against the desk.

"Please explain to me why I found this out from Rebekah and not my husband, a.k.a. the father of my child a.k.a. the said child that Dahlia is coming for." Klaus for his part, sat down his paintbrush with a sigh.

"I didn't tell you because she's not going to get the chance." Klaus revealed, wiping his hands on his paint rag. He threw the cloth down and made his way across the room until he stood a foot from Eden.

"And that's great to know Niklaus, but I still need to know these things. Threats against my daughter is always something I need to know about." She told him sternly.

"Well then you'll be pleased to know that all is well and Dahlia won't get her hands on Haven." Klaus said. Eden raised an eyebrow.

"You and your brother have a plan I suppose?" She asked him.

"Elijah and I have come up with a plan yes." He confirmed.

"And do those happen to have anything to do with the missing ashes of Mikael the Viking?" Eden asked her husband. Klaus gave her a look before he sighed and turned his back to her.

"Rebekah and Elijah have tasked you with the information of where my father's ashes are." He guessed. Eden shook her head as she stood off the desk.

"No, honestly Rebekah didn't mention to me that they didn't know where they were. I'm asking because it's not hard to put the connection there and clearly you and Freya now have a childish rival going on." Klaus scoffed.

"Am I not supposed to be happy that the wretched man is gone?" He asked, to which Eden again shook her head.

"No. I'm elated that he's off the board. But I want to know what you plan on doing to protect Haven. I don't care about you and your siblings bickerings because I know that each of you can protect yourself. My top priority is protecting the one Mikaelson who can't protect herself." She said. Klaus watched her for a moment and then pulled her into a hug and pressed a kiss on her forehead.

The maternal side of Eden was Klaus' favorite version of her. Eden was very adamant in the fact that she was not a good enough mother to Haven. The thought itself was laughable to Klaus. From the moment that Eden learned of Haven's existence, she had done nothing but protect her daughter. Klaus had watched Eden Greer grow from a terrified human girl on the back roads of Mystic Falls, into Eden Mikaelson, a queen in every right.

"If you're so hellbent on protecting your child, then why have I found you back at the compound for the second time in twenty-four hours?" Klaus asked her as he tucked her head under his chin.

"Because I didn't realized it, but apparently I am protecting two children." She mumbled, her voice muted as she spoke against Klaus' chest. Klaus chuckled and Eden felt the vibrations against her cheek before he let her go.

"Well, as you stated, your top concern is protecting the child who cannot protect herself. And seeing as I'm a murderous immortal monster, then I suggest you head back to Algiers to protect the one who can't even walk yet." Klaus said, a ghost of a smile still on his face.