Chapter 45

we monsters are necessary to nature also

marquis de sade

Chapter Forty-Five:

Sage didn't hear any rain when she was walking towards Hunter's room. She was beyond upset at her beloved for trying to make her talk to her father.

He was the one who picked their lives over ours. She huffed as she knocked on the door, making the sound echo through the hallway.

When the door knob started to turn, Sage wiped a her upset expression, giving a sleepy Hunter a smile. "Hey."

Hunter yawned, "Hey." He nodded his head, waiting for Sage to say something. He was finally able to go asleep, knowing Gem wasn't around him to make his body feel a certain way. "Is everything ok?"

Sage shrugged her shoulder, staring at Hunter. "Everything is different."

Hunter chuckled, "Yeah. Still can't get it wrapped around my head."

Sage smiled at Hunter. "I mean," she giggled, "we are working with species we were trained to kill. I'm a vampire. You're a werewolf."

Hunter hummed, nodding his head. "It's been one crazy life."

Sage smiled, before frowning. "I need some advice, and I'm sure you need it too."

Hunter opened the door, letting Sage inside Gem's and his room. "Talk away, Sage."

Sage sighed before sitting on the bed. It reminded her of the last time she spoke about her father. They were in the second year of the academy, and Sage was going through hell.

"It's about my dad, again."

Hunter smiled a little, leaning against the closed door. "Again?"

Sage shook her head, flipping Hunter the bird. "Shut up, Hunter."

They both chuckled, happy that everything basically normal between them.

"What should I do?" Sage whispered, covering her face with her hands.

Hunter stared at the wall in front of him, on deep thought. Well, he did fake his death, abandon his family, picked vampires over his blood, but he didn't really have a choice. His wife practically hated him, and she wasn't going to share you with him. He looked at Sage, shrugging his shoulder. He could have fought for her harder though.

"You should get his side of the story before you make any dangerous decisions."

Sage groaned, "But that means I have to talk to him."

Hunter smiled, laughing inside his head. "That would be helpful."

Sage leaned her back down to Hunter's bed. She stared up at the ceiling, and deep in thought. She bit her bottom lip as she laid there, trying come to a conclusion on what she would do.

"I shouldn't be having this problem."

"In all honestly, I wish my father came back from the dead." Hunter walked over to Sage, lying down beside Sage. "Even if it was just for a day. My mother too."

Sage played with her fingers, nodding to Hunter's words. "I guess you feel like I'm wasting an opportunity to see my father."

Hunter nodded, "Yeah, but we both of have  totally different situations. When my dad died, we were really close. When yours died, he was kinda banished from your family."

Sage sat up, running her hands threw her hair. "Ok, I'll talk to him. Give him a chance."

Hunter smiled, rubbing Sage's upper back.

"How have you been taking the whole marking thing?" Sage turned around, slapping Hunter's hand away, friendly.

Hunter sat up, purposely pushing Sage off his bed. He chuckled, "Can't sleep very well since the mark makes our soul closer together."

Sage got up from the ground, punching Hunter in the shoulder. She sent him a glare, mumbling, "probably deserves the sleepless nights."

"I didn't push you that hard off the bed, whinny."

"It wasn't that mean of a comment, cry baby."

They glared at each other, waiting for the other to fade away or blink. They held it for a long time.

"I don't know what to do."

Sage huffed in victory, smiling. Winner gets soda. "Do you want to live without Gem? Could you?"

Hunter thought for a moment, trying to picture his life with his red head girl. He tried to see a little house with some kids and another woman. A picture that his young eyes used to see when he was a little boy. He could picture his parents, but he couldn't picture himself in their places. His mind kept turning to a Alpha life with Gem Lupin.

"No."

"No?"

Hunter rolled his eyes and got up, walking out of the room.

"You're welcome!" Sage yelled, jogging to Hunter's door.

Hunter didn't answer back as he walked outside, following Gem's scent.

Sage walked out of his room, closing the door behind her. She shook her head, giving herself a mental talk up before slowly walking down the hallway.

She was breathing heavily, anxious for what was going to happened. She was going to talk to her father, and get her problem sorted out.

It's been years since the last time she had a decent conversation with him. Her mother cut her communication off completely while she was growing through her teen age years.

Now with her mother died, dying in one of the hunts, there was nothing in the way of their father and daughter relationship. Other than the negative thoughts about him in Sage's mind.

She could sense her father in his room, and she knew that he sensed her there, wondering if she was going to knock.

Sage walked towards the door.