Chapter 55

i'm not. i'm nothing more than a monster

Chapter Fifty-Five:

The snow started to settle against the window of the cabin. The folks inside the building were warm despite the cold outdoors.

"There are some lessons you must learn from us," the father started, staring at his daughter and son. "A hunter's job is never done."

The mother nodded her head, slowly walking closer to her husband. She grabbed his hand, leaving her head against his shoulder. Fear was in her eyes, thinking about how life was for them.

"And because of that, one day, hopefully a long time from now, we will die out in the field."

Hunter stared at his parents, taking in their features like it's the last time he would see them. Paige shook her head, tears threatening to escape. They both had different reaction, but they had the exact same thought.

No. Please don't go.

The mother smiled softly, rubbing the top of Hunter's head, messing up his already messed up hair.

"Your mother and I thought it was best that we tell you the most important one today. Always remember it."

Paige sat in the edge of her seat, waiting for the secret to be reveal. Hunter groaned as he fixed his hair. He wasn't the one to remember it after all the years go flying her. It was Paige who would remember it.

"Hunting takes a lot of toll of your body. There will be days when you think you can't get up, but you can." He smiled at Paige, knowing she would remember and would have to remind Hunter of these small, important things. "Hunting is a mind game, Paige. If your enemy gets into your mind — and if you don't get them out fast — you are doomed."

Paige nodded her head, having a feeling she needed to take notes of her father's words and voice. Her mother nodded her head, adding, "You must know how to defend yourself, with your mind and body."

"You," her father spoke, staring at Hunter as he gained his attention, "must also know how to get into their mind."

Hunter rolled his eyes. "I don't think I could fit into someone else's mind."

The mother sighed, shaking her head, but her lips had a small upturn in her face. "Hunter, hush."

Paige giggled, shaking her head. "Mind games, Hunter. Remember when Sam got mad at you for your words."

Hunter nodded his head. "Yeah, but he wasn't holding the axe right. He was going to hit himself, not the target." He pulled Paige into him, whispering in his ears, "Plus, he said he liked you, and he's not good enough for my little sister."

Paige only rolled her eyes. "Mind games, Hunter. You play them, either as the creator or the player."

"Shush you two. Listen to your father."

"But more importantly, more important than training and the mind games, stay together and love each other."

The two Kills looked at each other, smirking as they already had that done.

"I won't be able to leave peacefully till I know you will take care of each other."

The rest of the day and night, the Kill Family celebrated Christmas and being together. Each person in the family, smiling and laughing more times they did through out the year. It was hard not to be happy when your family was fully together at time. It was bonus that nobody was injured or hurt, getting time off of work.

It was foreshadowing, or maybe ironic, that the first thing their parents warned them about was the same thing that would destroy Paige. Her mind would get corrupted after a solo mission in Alaska.

If only she remembered the words of her dead father and mother before she started this whole experiment.

Hunter didn't remember it either, but after their parents died, he made sure to watch over his sister, allowing his father and mother to die, peacefully as they could. He would always overprotective of Paige, making sure she was alright as they grew up.

They were like two peas in a pod — you never saw one without seeing the other. Their friend group was the same. Their classes were different, but you would see Hunter or Paige standing outside waiting for the other. Soon, Sage joined them, quickly joining their broken family.

Sage meet their parents, not together. She meet their mother first, who quickly helped Sage and her mother through their hard time. Next, Sage meet their father, almost enjoying the hard personality.

The Kill Family was a second family for her. Hunter and Paige would say that they never actually got together as a family once because Sage wasn't with them that Christmas, but they do remember that Christmas.

There family was like that that Christmas, being four peas in a pod. They were sure to have more moments like that, but nothing is planned.

With all the laughter.

With all the joy.

With all the memories.

With the regular parent worries.

That Christmas marked the last day they were all together. Their time together slipped through their finger tips.

Even in their death, the Kill parents would always protect their children, but only showing when they needed them most, and that day wouldn't come for a couple of years.

A day that would say who would win or lose, survive or die. A day when war breaks out, tearing families and bringing different species together.

A day when only one side would win, and the other would die.