Chapter 1

the artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination

richard wright

Chapter One:

It was raining, water poured from the sky as Paige ripped pages out of her books, pinning them to a board. It's been six days, thirteen hours, thirty-six minutes, and three seconds since her wound healed. It didn't even leave a scar, upsetting her even further.

Why is this so hard? She hissed in her head, rereading her notes and highlighted information from over the years. There was nothing. Nobody — no human — has even healed them self at this rate before.

Paige jumped off of her stool, her feet landing swiftly on the ground. Even without the missions outside, she was still able to kick many creatures' asses, and she couldn't wait. She pinned her hair up before walking over to the blood samples.

She had a whole fridge of them, red, crimson, disgusting wolf blood. She shook her head at the ones that darkened and turned black.

These are no good. She sighed, grabbing them quickly and turning to throw them away till something caught her eye. It was shiny, silver, terrible thing stuck in the blood. She smiled, this should be good.

Her hands were surprisingly shaking as she neared the table. It had blood stains and patches of fur stuck in the corners. She was in a need for a new room from the amount of work she had been doing.

She dumped the blood, barely oozing out of the glass, into the small dent in the table. She didn't bother putting gloves on; she'll just take a shot to clear the damage away when she was done.

She watched as the silver started to roll in the blood, giving the red color a chance to form in the darkness. I figured it out...

Paige laughed, picking up a knife. She gazed the blade into her arm, swirling the tip around her skin. Let's do a quick test.

"Paige," Hunter knocked on the door softly. His eyes trailing down from his little sister's face and to her bleeding arm. "Paige? What the fucking hell!"

He was across the room in seconds, grabbing her arm and some clean napkins. What is wrong with her! She should be better by now!

"Hunter!" Paige grunted, barely pushing him away. "Stop!"

Hunter shook his head, grabbing his little sister by the arm. He wasn't going to allow his little sister to cut herself. He promised their parents he would look after her.

"Stop? You're killing yourself!" He screamed.

"No! I'm doing a test!" She threw a punch at his nose; Hunter was too concerned with his sister, he didn't realize it till he felt her fist hit his face, breaking his nose. It didn't even faze him. "I figured it out, Hunter."

"What?" Hunter grabbed his nose and popped it back into place. His voice no longer sounded off as he spoke. "Figure out what?"

She sighed as she smiled, "Just... just watch."

Hunter only nodded. He had been waiting for some type of human bond to build between them, and the fact that she was allowing him to watch was the start of that. It can't be anything too dangerous.