Chapter 8

be careful when you fight monsters, lest you become one

friedrich nietzsche

Chapter Eight:

The clouds started to lose water as it rained. Paige stared out the window watching as the water dropped down to the bottom.

Her back ached against the chair she fell in. She could smell something coming towards her room fast, coming towards Sage, who has been banging on the door.

It was almost impossible to break it down. The society of hunters made sure that any creature was to break in; they wouldn't be able to get any information.

Oh, Sage. It's no use. Paige felt her eyes water, blurring her eyes. She couldn't understand how she was going to stay alive this time. She was a goner, dead as can be.

"Sage!" Paige listen to a woman call out. She recognized the voice from somewhere, but she couldn't place it for her life. "Hunter is coming, but we have to get into that room."

Stay strong, Paige.

Paige whimpered at the noise. Her head hurt against any sounds, but the voice seemed weaker. That part of Paige was weakening as a new creature started to form inside her body.

There was no way for this hybrid to shift in a human body, but the abilities would be stronger than any wolf or vampire anyone would have ever believe.

"The doors lock," Sage cried, banging her hands against it. "She's not answering either."

The woman leaned her head against the door, hearing Paige's faint heartbeat. Her nose twisted in disgust as she smelt the new smell of Paige.

"Gem, I..." Sage shook her head before punching the wall.

"Everything will be fine," Gem grabbed her. It takes more to take out my kind. Gem could feel a wolf grow stronger and fight for dominance. "Paige is a fighter."

Go to the wolf, Paige.

Paige shook her head against the broken whisper, but her arms started to grab the chair. Pain shot through her, but she continued.

Her hatred for wolves would have to wait. Something deep down in her soul knew that this wolf wanted and needed her to live. It's because we're connected.

You can only believe what you want to hear.

Paige fell to the floor, creating a big band in the room. Sage and Gem cried out on the other side, hitting the door and yelling.

"What happened?" Hunter yelled, grabbing the two women and pulling them away from the door.

One of the Council men and women started to open the door. Hunter held Gem close to his chest, unaware of the fact. Gem slightly smiled against him, happy that her mate was holding her close. Her wolf jumped around in her mind, purring at the contact.

The fact that Hunter didn't let go of Gem didn't go unnoticed by Sage. She glared at the woman, who she knew was a friend. She's always was an odd ball.

The door clicked open. Hunter was first to push through the door, seeing his sister crawling to stand up.

She cried at the sight of her brother. Help me, Hunter. Help me.

Hunter picked her up, running out of the room. Everyone froze at the sight of the youngest Kill. Nobody knew what was happening. The Council members stood their in shock at the discover. Sage cried before running after Hunter.

Gem stared at the body, analyzing it and listening to her wolf. Her wolf was picking up something she wasn't, and the only way for her wolf to be positive was to get a closer look at Paige Kill. Paige, it's not going to be a wolf that kills you. It's yourself.

She quickly sprinted after everyone else.

Paige breathing thin as Hunter carried her. He wouldn't know where he went wrong. When he should have done something. He should have done something long before the silver ball in the blood, maybe months before she started working in the dirty lab.

Paige laid in his arm, wondering how there was any way the wolf in her head or the creature she started to create inside of herself will save her.

She heard nothing and she wondered if this was the end. She felt weak, not powerful.

I don't want to die.

You can't die.

Get to the wolf.

Hunter entered the hospital, and the nurses immediately went to work. Sage entered a couple seconds behind him, pushing unwanted people out of the way. She didn't care if they were talking about updates in their family. Paige was going to die if the doctors weren't focused on her.

Gem broke through the doors, running down the hallways even Hunter and Sage weren't allowed in.

This is stupid. I could blow my cover. The human bounded with the wolf thought, but her wolf only laughed.

But it's for him, our mate. Whatever happens will be worth it, Gem.

Gem push through the doctors, following her nose to Paige. She could smell the weakening smell of the disgusting scent from before. It was when she saw Paige dying figure again when she put everything together.

Even though Paige was born human, she bonded with a wolf. Now that the wolf was dying, Paige would perish with the animal.

I need the green blood.

She stared at Paige, amazed that she survived this long. Her wolf was almost gone, giving her fifteen minutes to get the blood and come back. She hoped that her mate wouldn't question her motives about all of this.

 She hoped that her mate wouldn't question her motives about all of this

Author's Note:

Welcome back to HOW TO MAKE A MONSTER?! I was thinking of holding my other book, THE TIME WILL COME, on hold since I'm having some writer's block for that story. I really do love that book. It's actually the first book, other than my single chapter story of THE DYING OCEAN, that didn't start as a werewolf book- even if I did add were's.

I just have a lot of ideas for this story, and I can't wait to write and publish them. HOW TO MAKE A MONSTER? has really opened myself up into writing something different to everybody else.

I already have the ending all planned out, and I really love and hate it. I hoped you guys do too.

Also, if you have any monster quotes, it would be wonderful if you share those. Thanks!

See a mistake? Comment and tell me.

Make sure to remember to vote, share, and follow!

Drop the mic,

GREEN CROW