Chapter 43

i'm afraid of opening up, only i'm not sure which frightens me most, letting you in, or letting the monster out

beau taplin

Chapter Forty-Three:

The sky showed itself its blue color to the people on the ground, even as the smoke slowly started to rise. Tears drained into the soil as the survivors of Paige's wrath watched as they finally let the dead meet the Moon Goddess.

Celeste stood before everyone, her eyes trained on the dirty body. She watched as the skin burned. She could smell the burning death around her. She stared at some of the dead eyes, still begging for help. How could... How... She's a monster, a monster born from hell.

"Their deaths won't be in vain," Susan whispered, kissing the nine year old head. She brushed back some of the girl's hair, making her vison go wider and further. "I won't let that happen."

Gem stood in the back, watching the exchange between vampire and werewolf. It was unusual, but it's not forced. She smiled softly at the scene. Wolves and vampires mourning the deaths. The strongest emotion should have been angry, fear, or even sad, but it wasn't. Gem felt happiness. Something deep down inside of her snapped. She had a feeling Paige was going to have a harder time defeating them all.

"We have all suffered from the hands of Paige Kill." Celeste cried out, knowing she had to make a speech. The child-Alpha looked down at the bodies. I don't even know all of them.

Gem started to step forward, for she was an Alpha too. She marched past the living, mourning and crying over the dead. Susan stepped closer to, hoping to help the young girl.

"She's a monster!" Celeste spat, tears running down her checks. She flinched as she thought about what Paige did. The death. The torture. The stealing. The abuse. "A monster that can't, that will not, win."

Suddenly, that was all she could take. She fell to her knees, dying from her pain. She felt everything all over again.

Wolves and vampires soon left, not being able to see what they where watching. They couldn't stand the memories either. The pain hit too close to home.

Celeste kneeled, looking to that sky. "Why are you not helping us!" She screamed, yelling into the sky. Her eyes glowed as her anger started to grow, reaching the clouds. "How can you let us die from this monster?"

Susan looked up, knowing Celeste was yelling at someone greater than all them. The Moon Goddess hasn't step on Earth since that November day. She was almost banished as hunters started to kill her children. Many wolves still believed, but many did not too.

Gem stepped up the stairs to the heighten ground. Her red hair fanning across her face as she looked down at the child. A nine year old who had lost her parents, been tortured by a monster, seen hundreds die, had to become a leader.

"The Moon Goddess hasn't been the same." Susan stared at Gem as the wolf kneeled to the ground, "but she seems like the only thing we can hold onto." She's the only power we have now.

Gem lifted the child to her feet. Celeste teared face hit her sights, the poor girl finally broken. She had to grow, and the growth was what was going to kill her.

"Celeste, you must continue. The Moon Goddess has given us shelter." Gem spoke, "We must leave and head towards her birth and life. Packs from all over the world head there. Paige can not kill us all if we are together, stronger."

Celeste nodded her head, letting Gem lead her to Susan. The two adults shared a look, understanding each other.

Take care of her. I need to tell my Alpha.

I won't let anything touch her, and we will head towards the Moon Goddess.

Gem left, shifting into a wolf before running away from her childhood home one more time. She hoped the next time she saw this was when Paige would be dead, her mate and her happy, her family free. Please let me live through this.

She padded fast through the trees, quicker than she had before she was running away and exploring back. She was running by herself then, but this time, she ran with faith and strength.

The Goddess temple reached her eyes. She paused, seeing vampires and wolves — even past hunters — working together.

She howled, letting her sound shake the Moon Goddess. It reached her home, and made the world shine brighter. It gave many faith, and with faith came passion.

She hustled down, running to her room. She watched as Hunter was walking down the hallway, deep in thought.

"Gem? Where have you been!" Hunter yelled lunging down to her wolf height. His hands were shaky, and his voice full of worry. "You can't just run off like this."

Gem shifted, standing naked in front of her mate. She hugged her mate, missing his voice. "Paige lost her army. We have a chance."

Hunter wrapped his arms around her, smelling the scent in her hair. He felt happy, happy that there was a way to defeat, but Paige was is sister. I failed her before. I won't do it again, never again.

Gem pulled away, staring at the emotional face of her mate. She rested her hand on his check, sighing deeply. "I'm sorry, for everything. I... the must be really hard for you."

Hunter nodded his head, leaving his forehead against hers. "I miss her. Sage and I talk about what she would do and say. I lost my sister, and I feel like I'm fighting the image she wasn't supposed to be remember as."

Gem nodded her head, her breath mixing with his. She bright her other hand to his untouched check. "I'll remember her as the girl who had the biggest heart. The one who wanted peace."

Hunter leaned forward, kissing her on the lips. He felt the shock, the shock he felt when Gem marked him. He felt the love, separating it from the bond and what was real.

"I love you."