Chapter 2

i think you have to know who you are. get to know the monster that lives in your soul, dive deep into your soul and explore it

tori amos

Chapter Two:

The weather was unknown to Paige. She stayed inside, collecting blood samples, waiting for it to become rotten, and then taking the shiny, silver ball out to examine.

It was a pattern, a never-ending pattern, as the days went on. Some days, the Council and other scientists would come by, checking her work; and every day, Hunter would stop by with food and water for his little sister.

He would constantly go to his parents' grave, whispering that he was sorry he couldn't protect his sister better. He should have never allowed her to fly solo. He left her in Alaska, the hearth of the wolf, to fight one of the strongest packs out there.

He knocked on the door softly, wondering if his sister was ever going to leave this room. She's crazy. Completely crazy.

"What is it?" Paige laughed, smiling down at her work. Her hands were covered in blood, more blood than anyone could have thought.

What the hell? Hunter rubbed his eyes, seeing a machine in his sister's lab. It processed the blood, separating the blood and the silver ball and grounding the ball into dust then forcing it to become a liquid.

Paige grunted, turning around. Her hair looked healthier, her eyes brighter, her nose straight, but that was as far as the healing went till it went downhill.

She was pale, whiter than her skin she got from her mother. She had round dark circles under her eyes; it was from the hourless days of sleep she was doing. Her body was low on nutrients. She was slow, reacting seconds late, but she seemed to never have felt more alive.

"Good to see you, Hunter," Paige smirked. She was smiling, her nose flared and her eyes darkened. She was off different, powerful. It's spreading. "I think I'm almost done."

Hunter shook his head, watching as his sister, who grew about a foot, who got her muscles redefined, who developed some darkness inside of her, walk around her new lab. Paige, let me into that crazy little head of yours. "Do you want to go grab a bit to eat?"

"Sure, it'll take three hours for this to change forms." Paige smiled, walking towards her brother. She pushed her hair from her face, revealing her newly pointed ears to her brother.

"Your ears?" He whispered, reaching out to touch them. "Are you turning?" He almost screamed out, but he kept it inside. If anyone found out, Paige would be sent to death — no matter how important she was. Wolves were to never be trusted. They would trick you, destroy you, end you.

"Must be a side effect, Hunter. I told you already," she licked her lips. She was in a strong mood for some meat, raw meat. "I'm only speeding up the healing process."

No, no you aren't. He only shook his head, disappointed that he couldn't save his sister, that he couldn't have prevented this. "How about we go to Olive Garden? It's your favorite." Paige nodded her head, throwing her lab coat off her shoulders. "Then maybe," Hunter suggested, "we can stop by our parents' grave."

"What are you up to, Hunter?" Paige hooked her lab coat on a hook. She watched as her brother shrugged, holding the door opened. "What's going on?"

Hunter softly smiled. She sounded concern. She still has humanity inside of her. "Oh you know, trying to get my baby sister out of this room and maybe," he stopped, thinking about how it used to be, "hunting together again."

It suddenly snapped inside of her. She didn't seem to be lab work crazy. She almost snapped back into the girl she used to be.

"Really?" She gasped, "You'll let me hunt again."

Hunter nodded, taking note on how her body was still strong. Even though she locked herself in this room, she found a way to continue to train.

"Yes, but let's go to Olive Garden and visit our parents, yeah?" Hunter asked, holding out his arm so his little sister could grab it.

He hoped it would be like old times.

She hoped the same thing.

"Are we taking the cool car?" Paige asked, jumping in the balls of her feet. She smiled as the walked past all the cars for the Hunters. She and her brother always choose a certain car and even told the Council that the wanted that one just for them.

"It wouldn't be a Kill's bonding trip if we didn't." Hunter laughed, pulling the keys out of the holder- after a lot of security- and twirling them around his finger. "Now, the real question is should I drive or should you?"

"You're... you're to let me drive!" Paige yelled, jumping at her brother to grab the keys. Like always, Hunters predicted the moment. He caught her and kept the keys out of her reach.

"Do you promise not to crash my car?" Hunter asked, setting her to the ground. He kept the keys above his head, smirking down at his sister.

"Your car?" She laughed, "Don't you mean the Kill's car?"

"Fine. Our car. Now promise."

"I promise!" He lowered the keys for her to grab, and Paige took no hesitation in grabbing them and running to the driver's side, smiling.

Please, God. Don't let her kill me.

Hunter soon climbed in on the other side, quick to put his seat belt on. "Remember how to get there?"

Paige rolled her eyes and turned the key.