Chapter 14

whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster, and when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you

friedrich nietzsche

Chapter 14:

The sky was grey. The rain slowly headed towards the targeted pack. The wolves howling at the sky, thanking the rain for shielding them from incoming rogues and enemies. Their fur become brown, chunks of dirt hanging from their pelts.

Not even the rain could keep the monster away. She came closer and closer. She could hear their beating hearts, their breathing lungs, their veins transporting blood from one place to another. Her eyes caught the slightest movement. Wolves would hind under the brush, only to be caught with their breathing chest or wondering eyes.

Oh Goddess! They thought, barking to get attention right before they died. Save us! Save us!

The thought brought chuckles into Paige's head.

Much stronger, Human. They can't hurt you anymore.

It was true. The marks wolves placed on her body from a year and half didn't resurface her skin. It resurfaced her mind, forcing her to keep killing any wolf on sight: patroller, farmer, warrior, pups, trainers. Nobody would live in the outskirts by the borders.

She pulled back, knowing it would be a waste to carry hundreds of people to revenge themselves. Her hands dripped with living blood, her fangs tainted red. She paced back, Sacrifice savoring the blood sneaking down Paige's throat.

Paige looked up at the sky, figuring out the time of day before continuing in the direction her group should be in. Someone better pray if they are behind or if Gem fucking did something.

You could always kill her tonight while taking out the pack. Her blood can rot with the rest of her disgusting kind.

Paige heard a growl from Purity. She faced Sacrifice baring her teeth, warning her about continuing. She was connect to the wolf species, even if she was artificial.

She could smell the hunters pushing through the trees, silent as they shorten the gap between themselves and the pack wolves.

Remember how I thought they were innocent? Paige giggled, shaking her head. That younger, guidable Paige was dead, destroyed in Alaska and left to rot in the research lab. How pathetic that thought was?

"Paige?" Gem called out, her senses leading her to the hybrid. "Everyone is worried about you." Gem tried to give her a good smile, but even if the scar disappeared, she could remember everything. She needs to control her wolf and vampire. She needs my help.

"Gem," Paige snarled, "shouldn't you be in a cage somewhere?"

Gem took a deep breath, the dominance of her wolf wanting to be released. As she lived with humans for the past years, she grew a strong control over her wolf. "Paige, please. Can we take our differences aside? At least for the sake of your brother."

Family equals betrayal. Never put your life in someone else's hands.

Even when they were speaking to her. She couldn't help remember what Hunter had done. He stayed by her side even when she wasn't healthy. He was patient.

In a wolf society, she had to make it up to him, even if it could end her.

Push those thoughts aside. That's the old Paige taking. Don't go back to that weak little girl.

Paige nodded her head, "But don't expect me and Sage to like you. You used Hunter to work your way to the top."

Gem shook her head, "No. I didn't. The moment my wolf smelled him, I knew he was my mate. I stood by him to protect him. I used my scent to warm off other wolves."

Paige laughed, "And how would that work. You actually think they would stop fighting against a hunter just because they smelt your scent."

"If they did, they would be another war, Paige. They would be killing an Alpha."

Gem has a smudge look on her face. Her wolf was proud of her mate and her human. Not only did she have a suitable mate, her human made Paige speechless.

"Paige, my father is one of the Alphas of the pack in Alaska. They... they weren't the pack that did that... that to you," Gem whispered. "This useless and unneeded war can be stopped. I know you are almost in the Council, along with Hunter, but if you both push a truce between my pack and yourselves, others will follow.

"You can save everyone."

Why save everyone when society failed you? Paige shivered, her eyes tracing the moments of the leaves. The breeze softly pushed the wind towards the upper parts of the trees. They left you there. They left you there for a year. They abandon you, Human.

Paige chuckled, the light in her eyes slowly turning a darker shade. "Who said that was what the world needed? Peace will never happened. They will always be wanting more power. The power I control, that I possess. Gem, bow down to me!"

Gem lowered herself slightly before regaining herself. I bow to my pack. Her wolf started to show through her glowing eyes. "Don't, Paige. You don't know how to fight like a wolf."

Paige marched forward her eyes shinning brighter. "Gem, watch me."

Gem cried as she felt pain scorn her nose, her eyes watering. She felt blood drip out of her nose, awakening Sacrifice even more than she was. It was Purity's job to take care of this wolf, but now the vampire wanted a taste.

Author's Note:

Hey! How is everyone doing? Most of you guys are in school now- so I'm I. Tiring it is.

Anyways, what's your favorite class you're taking?

Remember to vote, comment, answer, and share!

Drop the mic,

GREEN CROW