Chapter 50

adversity makes men, and prosperity makes monsters

victor hugo

Chapter Fifty:

The sky was calm, almost like the calm before the storm. Celeste laid in her room, staring at the ceiling every since her and her pack reached their destination.

"You have been in here for a long time, Celeste." Susan knocked, startling the young wolf. "Are you alright?"

Celeste groaned, opening her room up for Susan to enter. "They're not letting me help — with anything, Susan. It's like I'm nothing. I faced Paige Kill." Celeste walked over to her bed. "I looked into her eyes, saw a dead sparkle of her past soul. I should hold value, Susan." I was the one beaten and destroyed. I watched my pack burn!

"I really have no matters in Werewolf culture, Celeste," Susan whispered, "but I did hear a unorganized meeting."

Celeste sat up, her eyes trembling. "What was spoken?"

Susan smiled, "Gem, Hunter, and Paige. Although, they mentioned a man name Jo Jo."

Celeste nodded her head, "Must be a nickname for John or something. Like John John, but Jo Jo."

Susan laughed, shaking her head. She took a minute before her smile become a natural smirk. "They said that Jo Jo knew a way to save Paige Kill, and end this."

Celeste clapped her hands. I'm not the only one. "What else?"

"Alpha Lupin said he wouldn't trust an idea and wants to kill her."

Celeste nodded her head. "If there's a chance, we should save her."

Susan sighed, "The problem is, Celeste, that nobody has faced this. It's hard to say what this Jo Jo knows will work." After a moment pause, Susan whispered, "Why do you want to save her? I want to see her dead."

Celeste only smiled. "The eyes are the passage to the human soul, and she still has one, Susan. She really does — underneath all the changes and the monster." Celeste sat down, her fingers playing with each other. "When she speaks, sometimes you don't hear her actual voice. If you listen closely, you can hear three."

Susan nodded her head, bring a chair closer to the bed. She sat down quietly as deep silence separated their thoughts.

"Do you think Alpha Lupin would allow me to talk about my opinion?" Celeste whispered, tearing her eyes away from the floor, and staring at Susan.

Susan stared back, seeing the little girl's — she acts like an adulteyes shined bright at the chance, her lips in a quirk smile as she thought. She moved her gaze away, calming herself down as she thought. "He be foolish if he didn't, but I would talk to Gem. She seems to know you."

Celeste nodded her head, a large smile covering most of her face. Of course! Why didn't I think of that? "Do you think she's free? I want to talk about Paige!"

Susan shrugged her shoulder, a feeling of protectiveness washed over her. It left as quickly as it came- like a wave coming and going from the shore. "They all might be upset with what happened. You should let them sleep on it, and then come and talk to them."

Celeste dropped her upper half to the bed, sighing in distress. "Do you think we can save Paige?"

Susan shook her head, a frown on her face, her eyebrows coming together. "Nothing can fix what she did, and maybe it be best that she doesn't get saved; she may not be able to live with herself." Susan glanced up, "Imagine knowing Paige, a woman with honor, goes out and just kills — leaving nothing but pain behind. She left people scared for their lives she tricked people; she destroyed people. How could someone like that — some like how people remembered Paige — live with the regret?

"I think we should just kill her, but if I couldn't control my body, I would want someone to help me so I could fix everything I damaged."

Celeste looked up, nodding softly. "If she can be save and we do save her, can you ever forgive her for what she did you and your sister?"

The vampire sitting in the chair sat there, anger and rage growing inside of her. Her sorrows flooded her mind and her happiness was drained. She shook her hair, trying to delete the scene from her mind. She tried to forget the sight and smell of blood, but she couldn't.

"No. I can't." Susan stood up. "She destroyed my sister, and she destroyed me." With that, without another word or sound, she left, slamming the door behind her, stumbling into the hallway.

She took a deep breath, calming her thoughts and pain.

"Susan." There in front of her stood Alpha Lupin. There was a slight growl in his voice, warning her not to do anything stupid — especially in his Goddess' Temple. His lips twitched before speaking. "It's quiet disrespectful to ease drop."

Susan shook her head, rolling her eyes. "It seems that you did the same thing." Wolves.

The Alpha clinched his jaw, holding back his anger. He may demanded respect, but I give others respect. It's part of the role of leadershipdespite who you speaking to. "It's hard not to ease drop when you speak loudly, talk about things you shouldn't know, and push a young girl into a war."

"I didn't push Celeste into a war! It was Paige!" Susan snarled, baring her fangs. She stared the Alpha in the eyes, making him shake with rage. How dare he! I may be a common vampire, but he is not my Alpha, my authority!

"I suggest you pick your friends, Susan." The Alpha whispered, "We are in war, and it best not turn allies into enemies. Plus, you and I can agree on one thing: Paige Kill must be take down — no matter the cost."

Susan nodded her head, glancing back at Celeste's door. "She's brought to much pain."