Chapter 21

why should i apologize for the monster i have become? no one ever apologized for making me this way

Chapter Twenty-One:

Lightening crashed against the sky, the trees shook from the powerful winds. A storm was brewing, and a group of hunters had to walk through it.

"This is pointless," Gem mumbled, shielding her eyes from the rain and wind. "This is going to kill them."

Sage shook her head, grabbing a tree branch above her to hold on to. "Just another normal day."

Hunter looked behind him. Seems like their getting along.

Gem sighed, "I still don't understand your logic. You are killing innocent packs."

Hunter face fell. Never mind. He stopped, helping Sage up the rock as Gem quickly jumped over it. The large group of hunters, around twenty men, stood behind the boulder, hoping Hunter would let them set up camp.

"We stood stop," Gem spoke, grabbing her mate's shoulder. "They need rest, and this is pointless."

Sage sneered, "It's not pointless. Wolves and vampires are not fucking angels." She quickly looked around, wondering if the vampire she ran into was following her. Probably is. Those creatures can't stand losing. "I suggest you learn your position."

Gem's wolf growled, disliking how Hunter's friend was treating them. It remind her of the dominance Paige had. The feeling washed through her blood stream, shattered her bones, knotted her fur. Paige was fear to the eyes of the supernatural. She would soon become fear to everyone who stood in her path, enemy or not. Paige would change the world, and it was only a matter of time.

Gem could feel her Alpha gained strength. Her human mind still fighting the control between a savage dead vampire and a warrior wolf, who's hatred to his or her enemy grew. It's only a matter of time, but these humans have fixed nuts before.

"I suggest you open your eyes, and actually look around you. These wolves you are attacking are minding their own business. We are the ones hunting them!" Gem cried, holding Hunter in front of her to stop herself from shifting and attacking Sage.

"Those packs are armed, and they could very well do the same thing to Paige!" Sage yelled, gaining the men and women's attention on her. Hunger tensed under Gem's hands at the idea.

Nobody should go through that.

"Paige is suffering from what you're protecting, from what you are!" Sage screamed into the wind, her voice caring to everyone around them.

Gem became very pale, her eyes notice the hostile in everyone. She was in the middle on nowhere, hunters surrounded her. This was what her father, her old Alpha, was afraid of.

"Remember to be careful, Gem," her mother kissed her forehead, patting down her hair. She sniffled a cry, "I can't believe we are letting you do this."

Gem laughed softly, her face watering with incoming tears. "We both knew I was going to do this with or without your support."

Her mother kissed her nose again before her father entered the room. He walked closer towards his mate and offspring. "Gem."

"Dad," Gem threw her arms around her father. She hugged him tight. Her father slowly wrapped his arms around her. He was never the one to be touchy in public or hold strong feelings. He was an Alpha, an Alpha who lead by his mind, not his heart.

It was why Gem's mother and father who perfect for each other. They balanced each other out.

I can't wait to meet my mate.

"Be careful, Gem. I know you will find people you will trust, but anger and fear can control someone."

Gem held her breath, waiting for someone to comment.

"You're a wolf?" A man yelled, grabbing his gun. She remembered him from training as an apprentice for Hunter. He was known as the best shooter at the time. They talked and trained together, and she couldn't help but wonder how he thought he had the right to kill her. We were training buddies.

"Yes, and I haven't killed any of you. I haven't done anything that was so inhuman like. If I had, you would have known." She marched forward to the end of the rock, staring at the men and women below her.

Some people quickly understood the truth, and other would let the words go through one ear and out the next.

"I'm not the enemy. I was just trying to find peace."

Hunter moved next to her, anger laced his face at anyone who dare make a move against her. I'm going to have to deal with Sage later. How could she fucking do this?

"Everyone, we are camping for the night. If anyone attacks Gem, they will hear from me. She's my responsibility," Hunter yelled over the crowd, hoping they would hear his warning.

People stood there for a while before drifting away to find shelter in the rain. They were all soaking wet, and the truth ran through them like a river. There was no turning back.

Everyone knew Gem's secret, and that put all three of the in danger. The Council would not accept the disloyalty of three of their best hunters.

"Sage, what the hell is wrong with you!"

"With me? Hunter! Her kind destroyed Paige!" Sage yelled, walking towards Gem. The fight between them, if it were to happened, would be deadly. Sage finished another round of her vampire training, her reflexes quick again. She took her rightful place beside the Kill family in the Society of Hunters. "She deserves to be punished."

"She's my mate, Sage. Are you stupid? We are connected, whether you like it or not." Hunter yelled pulling Gem behind him. "I don't even know who you are anymore."