#18 The Only One

Feel free to comment 'I hate this.'

----------------------------------------------People. One word many souls fear in this world. Things weren't always like that for Kendall, but now he was one of those. One of those who fear people.

YN may have been that one girl who stole Kendall's heart after years of being alone, and just when things were so close to falling in place, people pushed her away. Three years worth of love, drained out in such a short period of time, both of their hearts cracked into million pieces. Never ever did he know how much people can harm, until they took the girl he fell in love with.

"Are you gonna sulk around forever? It's been four months." Dustin, Kendall's historical friend asked. Them two had shared so much in life together, old days became thick history in between them.

"It's not that easy." Kendall said, for what felt like the millionth time. He still didn't have it all wrapped up in his head. "I need her man, I really do."

Wouldn't it be easy for him to win her back? After all, he didn't do anything, it was the people. Maybe things would be easy, if she didn't have another man in her life. If she didn't fall in love for the second time, something she swore to never do. He gave her everything, everything Kendall couldn't give. Attention, privacy, extra care, time. Like they'd say, sometimes just love isn't enough.

Dustin didn't speak another word, he saw the broken shadows in his eyes. After a gentle pat on his back, he left him alone, to drown in his own sadness. That had become a regular habit of his.

Kendall got up and grabbed his car keys, and drove. He drove for miles and miles, until a familiar tune got stuck in his head. He stopped and let the salty tears pour out of his eyes, with each lyric his vision blurred a little more.

'Tell me that you turned down the man who asked for your hand, cause you're waiting for me. And I know you're gonna be away a while but I've got no plans at all to leave.'

The melody stung his broken heart, the words sunk in deep into his puddle of sadness. YN's face appeared in his mind, her laugh, her smile, her voice. It all came back like a memory he wanted to forget. He wanted it all to burn into fire, he wanted to watch them anger the flames, just like they had angered his heart.

'Would you take away my hopes and dreams and just stay with me?'

It felt as though the only people who once brought his happiness let him down. He couldn't care less if his dreams were to melt like a cube of ice over the hot flames, he needed YN back where she belongs, in his caring arms.

Kendall shook his head, wiping the remaining of his tears and continued his journey. He stopped in front of the coffee shop, that was their regular coffee shop. Where they would say, they could taste the sweetness of their bond with each sips of the magical bliss. He could see her slim frame, hunched, laughing all the sorrows out of her. He could see her hand stretched out holding onto his, he could see it all too well. In a swift motion he took his phone out, letting his shaky thumb slide across the screen to unlock the gadget. He looked for her number, he needed to tell her he misses her. Even if he couldn't have her as his only one, he needed her as a friend.

'All my friends have gone to find, another place to let their hearts collide, just promise me you'll always be a friend cause you are the only one.' The radio hummed.

Kendall's breath was shaky, his heart was thumping. Did she still have his number? Did she change her number? Did she want to contact him? Does she still think of him at all?

Over thinking was a habit of the sad soul, so he decided to do exactly what his mind told him not to do.

"Do you promise me? That you'll always be a friend?" He typed.

Kendall stared at the text. He had let his stupidity get to him. No way did she want to have anything with him, a contact was too far away, she didn't even want to breathe the same air as him. Something in his heart told him not to move from his spot, so he remained in front of the coffee shop as the song disappeared in the background.

Ten minutes had passed, Kendall could've sworn it was just his eyes playing games but that wasn't the case. YN walked out of there, she wasn't holding his hand but she was holding her now better's half's. She wasn't laughing in there... She was crying. Kendall's eyes widened at the sight, his hand pressed against the steering wheel, he let the car call her towards him.

YN's eyes found his car, the car she had seen way too many times. Her small cries became sobs. Without thinking she ran to his presence and wrapped her arms around him, in time with Kendall walking out of the vehicle. He let her cry, and Kendall didn't need an explanation. He knew the man he thought was good for betrayed her, this was his Que. to heal her because she was the only one, she was worth more than this friendship had to offer.

Kendall held her in a tight embrace and rubbed her back in the most welcoming and comforting manner. In between that he didn't forget to lower his head against her ear and whisper

'You are the only one.'