Chapter Thirty Four

"So you want to tell me what happened?" Betty asked after almost an entire ride of silence. She glanced sideways to check on me but I had my face facing outside the window. It was embarrassing what had gotten me into this state in the first place.

I shook my head silently. I was drained of energy by the time I found Betty and the rest were chatting at the same spot where I last seen them. They knew something was wrong when they saw my flustered, and at the same time, devastated state. 

"Oh, okay. Well, um, we can stop by Pop's if you want to grab some food." She suggested.

On cue, my stomach let out a not so subtle growl of hunger. Betty chuckled. I clutched my stomach to prevent it from growling any further. That was one thing I could agree on with my stomach.

"I guess we could." I mumbled.

When we arrived, the diner was packed with people—like everyone in town was here. This was the fullest I have ever seen Pop's could get in my whole months leaving here. Most of them here were dressed similar to Betty and I, which meant that they came here after the memorial service. I did not recognize most of their faces but some shared the same classes with me.

I thought there was no table available for the two of us but Pop kindly showed us a booth at the far end of the diner. It wasn't as cozy as other tables or booths but it was better than nothing though. I ordered what first came into my mind, which was your typical chicken with onion rings burger and chocolate milkshake. Yeah, my order was basic but whatever that could satisfy my hunger.

When our orders were taken, Betty and I were in an awkward moment of silence. Betty was looking at me from the opposite side of the table while waiting for me to say something. I had no idea what to do because I was internally debating with myself for hours and I had come to a conclusion that I was tired with my own heart—and made me emotionally drained. I was tired of putting too much thought on something, or should I say someone,

Betty took a deep breath in before speaking. "I know you don't want to tell me what happened in Thornhill, and I'm okay with that, but as your friend, it's uneasy to see you like this." She took my hand gently in hers and squeezed it. "I'm here for you."

I smiled weakly at her. I doubt she would be here for me when she finds out that what was troubling me was related to Archie. And because of that, there was no one I could really talk to about him besides Reggie. But it wouldn't seem fair to Reggie since he was technically interested in me, or so I thought.

When our food were presented to us on our table, my stomach growled again; I was famished by the time the food arrived. I took a huge bite out of my burger and all I can say was, my stomach's needs had been satisfied. All it takes was just one bite to solve any hunger I had.

Maybe the hunger I had had helped in making the atmosphere around Betty and I less awkward. I don't know whether it was just me, but I somehow felt the awkwardness around us—maybe I'm always awkward in every situation that's why.

"It's about Archie." I said when I was halfway done with my burger.

She looked up from her sandwich and shot me a questioning look but seconds later, the realization came. "Oh." Her eyes were wide, probably not expecting that to be my answer.

"Yeah." I nodded my head.

She sighed and put down her sandwich on the plate. "I hate to say this, but you've seen this coming."

"I know, Betty. But it's different."

"Oh really? How so?" She raised her brow.