Chapter Sixty

With the ongoing investigation getting more and more complicated, the town grew extremely concerned for their safety as no one knew if they're at risk of being murdered or it's just a one time thing.

Sheriff Keller worked day and night trying to uncover the truth behind Jason's death while warning us kids to not get involve whatsoever in the case. But knowing us, none of us listened.

Both Betty and Kevin investigated the case on their own and they had made some shocking discoveries.

It was revealed that Jason and Polly were blood-related, more specifically, they're third cousins. This made a whole lot of sense on why none of the Blossom's family were keen on a Cooper marrying into the Blossom's family.

Nana Rose knew about it all along, but she still accepted Polly into their family the moment she gave her blessings to both Jason and Polly.

Things got even more confusing when the Blossom's heirloom ring was no where to be found on Jason nor the perimeters of Sweetwater River. If it was like what Polly said, the ring should be on Jason when he died.

"Kevin, did your dad found anything else?" Betty asked.

He shook his head. "Even if he did, I doubt he's going to let me know. He knows how we're trying to be sleuths." He frowned.

"It doesn't make sense why the ring was gone. It can't just vanish into thin air when Polly said she gave it back to Jason." Betty sighed in frustration. "This doesn't sit right with me."

If Moose mentioned seeing someone fighting over cash and seeing a bigger built person, what if Jason was caught up in whatever scheme that was happening?

What if he found out about something he shouldn't have and that led to his death?

All of us sat in silence in the diner. "I thought about that might be a little out of reach." I voiced out. They nudged their head for me to go on. "The Blossom family runs the Maple Syrup business right?"

"Yeah?" Veronica prompted.

"It's going to sound insane but what if he was killed by someone in the family?"

Everyone's eyes widened and mouths went agape as if I had lost my head. "Blossom family might be scarily intense and creepy, but I doubt they would kill their own blood." Jughead said.

"Yeah, I know. See, the suspect list have been narrowed down to one possibility which is their family's enemies right? And yeah, they have been running the Maple Business for decades and it's normal to have many enemies along the way but, no one thought about the possibility that that type business might be running under some dark operation."

No one uttered a word thus I continued. "I know it might be a little far fetch, but with the recent amount of rise in drug cases in Riverdale, how hard can it be to smuggle them in if it's operated silently?"

"So you're saying, the Maple Syrup business could be a coverup for all the drug trafficking happening in our town?" Kevin asked.

I bit my lip nervously. If my theory was wrong, I would be in trouble for even suggesting things like that.

"I don't know. It might be a theory."

"This could make a whole lot of sense. If the business was really a coverup for drug trafficking and Jason found out about it, his life was probably in danger the moment he discovered the secret." Betty nodded in realization.

"But who in their family would be so cruel to pull that trigger? To kill one of their own? That's a cold-blooded killer." Veronica said solemnly.

"Let's not narrow it down to just the family members. They could have hired a hitman to commit the crime instead. There was no way the crime was committed alone." We nodded in agreement to Betty's suggestion.